[Durham INC] Draft INC minutes

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 2 07:24:27 EST 2021

Please let me know about changes or additions.

The Nov/December minutes are also below since we didn't approve them last week.

Regards, pat

January Delegate Meeting of the InterNeighborhood Council of Durham

Via Zoom

January 26, 2021

Attending the meeting were:

Neighborhoods

Braggtown -- Constance Wright, Vannessa Evans

Cross Counties – Pat Carstensen

Falconbridge – Richard Ford

Forest Hills – Sarah Morris

Merritt-Moore -- Bonita Green

Morehead Hill – Rochelle Araujo, Bruce Mitchell

Northgate Park – Keith Cochran, Debra Hawkins

Old West Durham – David Eklund

Trappers Creek / Greymoss – Will Wilson

Trinity Park – Philip Azar, Mimi Kessler

Tuscaloosa-Lakewood – Susan Sewell

Watts Hospital Hillandale – Tom Miller

Andrew Foster -- Duke Law School

Visitors

Annette Smith -- Durham Parks and Recreation

DeDreanna Freeman

Lisa Miller -- Planning

Kayla Seibel -- Planning

President Will Wilson called the meeting to order, and those present introduced themselves.  There were no adjustments to the agenda.  The minutes went out after the last meeting, but did not get re-sent earlier, so we will look at approving them in February.

Bylaws Rewrite -- Andrew Foster teaches a clinic at Duke University on “community enterprises;” at clinics, students get experience while giving free legal advice within the community.  If we worked with them, he would assign a student to work with INC to work on governance, by-laws or other legal matters.  Understanding our options on getting advice, we then started going through the existing by-laws.  One issue is the definition of qualified neighborhoods, in terms of the formality of the neighborhood, especially if we are trying to do outreach across Durham, as well as keeping an equity lens on the definition.  There are also challenges about how to amend the by-laws, how to take positions, and how to compute a quorum.  We used to be more assiduous in checking whether member neighborhoods satisfy the criteria for being a member.  We would also want to look at creating resources that neighborhoods trying to organize can use.  Because Duke students work in semesters, it would be better to do at least a “chuck” of work that finished by May, but there are ways to work around this.  Tom made two motions: one to charter a subcommittee and one to engage the Duke Law Clinic; Suan seconded.  Both passed 9-0.  Philip moved to delegate to the Will the task to appoint members and lead the committee.  This passed 9-0.  Volunteers will include Philip, David, WIll, Tom, and Bonita.

Update Comprehensive Plan Draft Goals -- A subcommittee had 4 meetings to talk about it.  Kayla Seibel and Lisa Miller of the Planning Department joined the meeting.  One question that came up within the subcommittee a lot was a “check-list” of what “neighborhood support” is near a proposed development such as the nearest grocery store, meeting space and so on so we can evaluate whether there is or will be a “deficit.”  We would like to see Community Planning like there is Community Policing -- engagement that is on-going rather than case-related.  Generally there is no goal that is about “improving processes” in the draft.  What parts of the present  Comprehensive Plan failed, and why, so we don’t repeat them, and are we throwing out major ideas (like tiers) in the current plans?  Obviously now that light-rail is off the table, the geographic organizing ideas of our community might be changing.  The equity aspects and getting beyond cars are good ideas.  When it gets down to implementation, we want to see how the issues identified get resolved.  How the goals interact could be clearer.  We need to sharpen regulations rather than weaken them, to know how / whether the can evolve, to see how to do we resolve conflicts among goals, and to figure how we can increase “community capital.”  The engagement process needs to do better at listening to parts of the community that hasn’t been heard before, rather than others saying what they think such communities want or need.  The next steps once goals are adopted for the plan will be to drill down to having policies under the goals and objectives, and to create a new land-use map. The new Plan should be clearer about what is a policy to be followed and what is more like guidance.  The objectives needs to reflect what was said about the wants/needs of the community, while being realistic about what a plan can affect (so some things may be communicated to elected officials that don’t get into the plan as pretty tangential to land-use, and some will take non-governmental actors to achieve).  The goal is to get the objectives adopted by June 30, so need to have comments in on the goals by February 19.  The comments should give some kind of scale of agreement with specific goals -- is it great, OK with changes, or totally wrong-headed.  Planning is working with NIS to use their tools and processes on engagement.  What does equity look like in terms of process and results; how do we tackle gentrification in ways that work for all?  We will try to get out a document for folks to review -- make sure Will has your address if you want it.

Development Update -- Merritt-Moore and their neighbors will be at City Council on Monday at the hearing on the proposed development of 320 homes in their areas.  The developer has worked on putting in stormwater / flooding control, but the big remaining issue is the safety along Cheek Road and other infrastructure questions.  Other concerns include that the it will increase property taxes of those what have been there and sedimentation.  The proposed development is just crammed in without any sense of community.  Please come to the meeting to support the neighborhoods or send a note of support.

Braggtown is also asking for a small area plan, which would be good idea.

Treasurer’s report -- 5 neighborhoods have sent in dues, so please send yours in soon.

We are still looking for a Vice-President.

Adjourn.