[Durham INC] County Updates Historic World War I Display

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Fri May 21 09:58:06 EDT 2021

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                              Date: 5/20/21
Contact: Public Information Office          Phone: (919) 560-0000/Fax: (919) 560-0020
                                                                        E-mail: publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov<mailto:publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov>

County Updates Historic World War I Display

Durham, N.C. - In 1921, a statute was erected to honor fallen World War I (WWI) soldiers from Durham, North Carolina. When commissioned, the prominent statute detailed the names of white soldiers from Durham separate from the names of Black soldiers who served and died during the wartime of 1917-1919. In 2013, the Durham Board of County Commissioners issued a resolution to add contextual signage at the statue that combines the names of all Durham residents who gave the ultimate sacrifice in WWI into on list on the honor roll of the deceased. This sign proposal was approved by the Durham City-County Appearance Commission.

"The separation of the soldiers' names by their race in the 1921 Commission of the monument depicts a time not forgotten in Durham's history," said Assistant General Manager for Environmental Stewardship and Community Prosperity/Deputy Director of Durham County Engineering and Environmental Services Peri Manns. "The updated signage features the appropriate alphabetical order of the soldiers and additional names that were missed during the initial design."

The combined names of the soldiers who sacrificed their lives in one of the deadliest conflicts in history can now be seen on a commemorative sign installed in March 2021. The new sign and the original statue are situated in front of the Durham County Administration I Building, located at 200 E. Main Street, in a statue garden on the eastern lawn of the historic Durham County Courthouse.

"Durham County Government would like to thank former Councilman Eddie Davis for bringing the "WWI Honor Roll" to the County's attention," said Manns. Davis and former County Commissioner Michael Page worked together to initiate the memorial update. The WWI Commemorative Signage Committee and O'Brien Atkins Architects were key to the finalizing the content and design up the updated sign readied for installation.

"On behalf of Veteran Services and veterans across Durham County I want to commend this committee, led by Peri Manns, on their extraordinary effort to recognize and equally honor the ultimate sacrifice of Durham County's WWI service members. Displaying this memorial plaque will serve as a sober reminder that the time to do what is right is always "now". It's about more than rearranged and added names. This plaque speaks from the heart of Durham and shouts that every life is important, regardless of race. It's not only a great symbol but a wonderful and timely tribute to those men who died to advance and protect our freedom. I want to thank everyone whose efforts made this honor and recognition possible," commented Director of Veterans Services Lois Harvin-Ravin.

For more information about the installation of the updated WWI display or approval by the Durham Historic Preservation Commission, contact Peri Manns at pmanns at dconc.gov<mailto:pmanns at dconc.gov>.  On May 31, Durham County Veteran Services will commemorate Memorial Day 2021. Read more about the upcoming ceremony on the national day of mourning here<https://www.dconc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/8305/31?backlist=%2f>.

###