[Durham INC] Durham County EMS Credentialed as NC Advanced EMS Education Institution

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Tue Jul 20 08:19:13 EDT 2021

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                                          Date: 07/20/21
Contact: Public Information Office                   Phone: (919) 560-0000/Fax: (919) 560-0020
E-mail: publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov<mailto:publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov>

Durham County EMS Credentialed as NC Advanced EMS Education Institution
Credential from NCOEMS continues through 2024

Durham, N.C. - The Emergency Medical Services Division of the Durham County Office of Emergency Services (OES) was once again credentialed earlier this month as a North Carolina Advanced EMS Education Institution by the North Carolina Office of Emergency Medical Service (OEMS).

This recertification process occurs every four years and the current credential for Durham County EMS (DCoEMS) continues through December 31, 2024. A  letter was awarded to DCoEMS from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Health Services Regulations<https://info.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/ems.htm> after a rigorous application process. Durham County is one of 33 programs in the central region and 93 statewide to be credentialed by the state.

The NC OEMS<https://info.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/faqedu.htm> credential approves Durham County EMS to teach basic and advanced EMS initial and continuing education courses, and to renew providers at all certification levels - Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT), and Paramedic.

"I would like to commend and wholeheartedly thank Assistant Chief  for EMS Professional Development Jackie Holmes and EMS System Medical Director Dr. Anjni Joiner and the entire EMS Division for their successful efforts in renewing the NC Advanced EMS Education Institution credential," said General Manager of Community and Public Safety Jodi Miller. "This significant accomplishment not only highlights the expertise and dedication of Durham's EMS team, but it also demonstrates their commitment to providing outstanding care to our residents."

Under the guidance and leadership of Holmes and Dr. Joiner, Durham EMS staff gained approval from the NC OEMS through an extensive application process designed to show the organization's ability to provide quality educational services - which include proper staffing to conduct instruction, adequate and essential materials and equipment for training purposes, and a proper learning environment to do classes - all while meeting the national and state guidelines.

"We are honored to be credentialed again by the state EMS office and are excited to continue providing outstanding education to our incredible team of practitioners," said Durham County EMS Chief Paramedic Mark Lockhart. "This education builds upon our staff members' existing knowledge base, enabling them to provide exceptional care to our patients."

This credential allows Durham EMS to centralize much of the EMS education for providers, and to provide seamless in-house training opportunities as necessary reducing the need and time for coordination with other institutions.

"As an OEMS educational institution, this helps keep our system providers credentialed and their education and training current to industry standards," Holmes said. "It keeps our ambulances and fire apparatus on the road providing exceptional care using the most current EMS educational practices."

Durham County has maintained its designation as a North Carolina Advanced EMS Education Institution since the 1990s, which included not only the application process, but also in-person inspections made by OEMS officials of the education facilities and equipment. It also continues a long-standing tradition of DCo EMS as a leader in the field of Emergency Medical Services since its founding in 1975.

Durham County EMS will open applications for current open positions in August with a new recruit academy beginning in mid-October. The assessment center for the next new hire academy will take place September 7-10, 2021, with Recruit Academy 30 beginning October 18 with graduation on December 10, 2021.

For more information regarding the Durham County EMS Division, visit their webpage here<https://www.dconc.gov/county-departments/departments-a-e/emergency-medical-services>, or contact Chief Lockhart at jlockhart at dconc.gov<mailto:jlockhart at dconc.gov>.

###