[Durham INC] Fwd: Good News on Glyphosate + August News

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 10:42:51 EDT 2021

Clean beauty bills, children's health victory, whistleblower scientists,
and more...

*We advance environmental health and justice by advocating for safe
alternatives to harmful pesticides and chemicals.*

*Good News on Glyphosate?*

Friends,

This month Bayer made big news with a commitment to end sales of
glyphosate-based herbicide products for U.S. lawn and garden markets by
2023. This is a good first step, but don’t be fooled by this headline-grab:*
it won’t affect the 280+ million pounds applied annually in U.S.
agriculture *and by professional landscapers.

With Bayer, Syngenta, Chemours, and EPA in our backyard, North Carolina is
a home base for chemical manufacturers that continue to have outsized
influence on the market and on regulatory processes meant to protect our
health and environment. This month the Intercept reported that four
whistleblower scientists at EPA
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=d498634844&e=c367cf947a>
revealed they were pressured by managers to downplay risks and sign off on
chemical safety despite evidence of harm. High-priority “hair on fire”
decisions were pushed through the assessment process at the urging of
manufacturers eager to get their products to market.

*It shouldn’t be this way. We need an EPA that protects our community from
the risks of toxic chemicals*. We need comprehensive pesticide reform that
centers precaution and considers the safety of everyone *before* products
are brought to market. Toxic Free NC continues to press EPA
for accountability to its protective responsibilities and we continue to
fight for a safer and more just North Carolina.  *Thank you for joining us
in this movement*.
REGISTER HERE
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=c12019a396&e=c367cf947a>

*Policy Updates*

*Support Federal Heat Stress Bill*
Feeling the heat? So are farmworkers! Read a new report
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=6197ef1b8a&e=c367cf947a>
from the Union of Concerned Scientists on how the increasing heat affects
outdoor workers and what you can do
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=b2e15dea53&e=c367cf947a>
.

*Smell Something In the Air? *
That is methyl bromide sneaking back into North Carolina as a log
fumigant. Click
here
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=ee7dbaabd7&e=c367cf947a>
to refresh on NC’s air quality regulation we won last year, and here for
details on public hearings
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=9829f6b953&e=c367cf947a>
to oppose permitting of this toxic air pollutant in North Carolina.

*Clean Beauty for **ALL*
Shouldn’t everyday body care products be safe?  A new suite of federal bills
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=74448d2b51&e=c367cf947a>
aims to do just that by getting rid of formaldehyde, PFAS “forever”
chemicals, mercury, and other harmful ingredients that have no place in our
cosmetics, shampoos, and personal care products. The bills also address the
safety of women of color and salon workers who risk higher rates of
exposure. Stay tuned on our social media as these bills progress.

*Advance tickets for newsletter subscribers on sale August 30 Tickets open
to all September 3*

*On Saturday, October 9, Grass Grazed Farm
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=172d6e5af9&e=c367cf947a>
in Bahama, NC, will host a seasonal dinner and celebration honoring 35
years of Toxic Free NC’s movement to protect our air, water, and soil from
harmful pesticides and chemicals. Join us for a magical outdoor evening
against the twilight backdrop of a thriving regenerative farm. *

Event supporters include Self Help Federal Credit Union and Murphy's
Naturals. *Join them and h**elp* us make this event a success! Friends and
values-aligned businesses, see below to learn about sponsorship
opportunities.

*Sponsorship deadline is August 27.*

*Volunteer! *We also need a few volunteers to help with set-up, clean-up,
and selling raffle tickets. Please email info at toxicfreeenc.org if you're
interested in helping make the event run smoothly!
SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=1b581b95e1&e=c367cf947a>

*Victory for Children's Health!*

Join us in celebrating! Yesterday, in response to a federal court order, EPA
announced they will ban all food tolerances of chlorpyrifos
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=5380de93d3&e=c367cf947a>,
a pesticide commonly applied to corn, soy, apples, broccoli, and other
produce, which has been linked to neurological damage in children, and
posed high risks to farmworker children on the front lines of industrial
agriculture.  This is a hard-fought victory in a decades-long battle and we
are grateful to advocates across the country who worked to make this
happen. (Photo credit: New York Times)

[image: Demonstrators outside the California E.P.A. headquarters in
Sacramento in 2018 demanded a ban on chlorpyrifos.]

*Sign On to Support Debt Relief for BIPOC Farmers*

Toxic Free NC, as a member of the North Carolina Food System Advocacy
Coalition (NCFSAC) is standing in solidarity with Black, Indigenous, People
of Color (BIPOC) as courts across the country halt debt-relief programs
designed to reverse the extreme historic discrimination.

View the coalition's full statement here
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=da8b2fdf62&e=c367cf947a>
and click here to sign on
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=29e437abaf&e=c367cf947a>
as an individual or as an organization. We all stand together against the
continued systemic racism in our country preventing a path to justice for
farmers of color.
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=dbd4350f84&e=c367cf947a>
Haw River Assembly is hosting an important forum with NC PFAS researchers
and DEQ on the safety of Pittsboro's water quality. *Don't miss this event
on August 26!*
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=4f1c5fb478&e=c367cf947a>
Above: photos from the Women of Color Farmers visit to the Pinehurst
Farmers Market in South Carolina! Thanks to April Jones at Pinehurst
Community Action for hosting the trip.
Your support is critical to fighting for pesticide reform that protects us
all.
*Please give today!*
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=0b48f38e41&e=c367cf947a>
DONATE
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=12cb45205a&e=c367cf947a>
[image: Facebook]
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=1891a33c9c&e=c367cf947a>
[image: Link]
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=eb643286a2&e=c367cf947a>
[image: Twitter]
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=9a3bfe882f&e=c367cf947a>
*Copyright © 2021 Toxic Free NC, all rights reserved.*

*Our mailing address is:*
info at toxicfreenc.org

You can update your preferences
<https://toxicfreenc.us18.list-manage.com/profile?u=25b0d4af9aa3469c4e0d4fde1&id=6f630bf566&e=c367cf947a&c=408d29e321>