[Durham INC] Fw: INC resolution on damage from utility installation

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:14:47 EDT 2021

________________________________
From: Schewel, Steve <Steve.Schewel at durhamnc.gov>
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 8:19 AM
To: Pat Carstensen <pats1717 at hotmail.com>; City Council Only <CityCouncilOnly at durhamnc.gov>
Cc: Will Wilson <willwilsn at gmail.com>; Page, Wanda <Wanda.Page at durhamnc.gov>
Subject: Re: INC resolution on damage from utility installation

Dear Pat, Will and the INC members,

Thank you very much for this resolution of the INC. I agree that we have had a lot of difficulties with fiber optic cable installers over the past several years. City staff has repeatedly had to suspend digging for some of the installers for the reasons you cite. I have not heard much about this recently, so I appreciate hearing this from you all.

Many of the practices you outline are ones that we require already. I hope they are being effectively carried out.

As you may know, the City used to charge the utilities to pay for the inspections the City has to do after the companies dig. But the fiber optic companies went to the legislature four or five years ago and got the legislature to disallow the City from charging for this very necessary service. The City still does this inspection, of course, but it costs the taxpayers now to provide this service to the fiber optic companies that should be paying for it. At the height of the digging a couple years ago, this cost the City $2 million in a single year.

So I share your concerns. I will pass this resolution on to our City Manager for her to share with staff. I am sure they will give it their attention.

Best wishes,

Steve Schewel

Mayor, City of Durham

101 City Hall Plaza