[Durham INC] Send a letter: Stand Up for Trees! Stop NC HB 496

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 21:24:17 EDT 2021

Friends,

I wrote a letter for the Action Network letter campaign: Stand Up for
Trees! Stop NC HB 496.

We need your help! Last month the North Carolina General Assembly
introduced a bill that has the potential to increase the rapid loss of
trees and green space across our beautiful state. Every 2 seconds, we lose
a football field worth of trees. In the past 150 years, we have lost half
of the topsoil worldwide. Worse yet, 2/3 of our aquifers on this planet are
running dry, based on NASA monitoring. We cannot afford ANY steps backward
right now. HB496 is a very big step backward for all of the issues listed
above - trees, soil, and water are essential to us having a healthy planet.
This bill will give developers free rein to cut down all trees on every
site, disregard soil erosion, and contaminate local water. This is not just
bad for our communities, but it's bad for business too! The gains we have
made in our local cities to protect trees, soil, and water have been due to
efforts by local citizens and officials. The results represent our local
decision-making power as a community. We do not need the state telling us
that we have no right to save and protect our local environment. I urge you
to vote NO on NC HB 496.

Can you join me and write a letter? Click here:
https://actionnetwork.org/letters/stand-up-for-trees-stop-nc-hb-496?source=email&

Thanks!
be a kind human
Bonita Green