[Durham INC] Sneak peek at the In-Person BikeWalk Summit

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 20:58:26 EDT 2021

*Sneak peeks at the upcoming Summit in Durham*

(turn on images for best viewing experience
*)*
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=Ou%2bCJ8j%2fcKfFDmLDpK7EpNolyxLm2qWYH%2fVkLYmjSV1XoyQytoe9l%2fNZodSOPUlBxUikxg8BSmUdWPtyTliBf8M024FcwswxkrmeTel%2fd0I%3d>

*Access to Transit:  Panel and Mobile Session*

One reason we are so excited to be meeting in person for the upcoming
Summit is that Durham has been taking some big strides to improve
transportation options right now. Last year we included a session that
spotlighted Durham's Trail Implementation Plan.This year, we'll take a look
at Durham's *Better Bus Project*.

Join a group of Durham panelists as they discuss the City's work to improve
transit in Durham and their approach to better access to transit. Learn
about BikeDurham's *Transit Equity Campaign*. Following the presentation,
Summit attendees will have a chance to see the Transit Experience on the
street with a mobile session that will point out and describe upcoming
improvements.

*Ride the American Tobacco Trail and learn about Durham's history as you go*

Join us Saturday morning at the Summit for a ride through Durham and along
the *American Tobacco Trail*, part of the East Coast Greenway. Longtime
Durham resident and Carolina Tarwheel Dave Connelly will lead a ride that
includes both, while also sharing a lot of history along the way. Dave will
also lead a "Jane Jacobs" walk around Durham on Friday.

*How to Implement a Pop-up Traffic Garden*

A *traffic garden* is a set of small-sized streets with scaled-down traffic
features and other fun elements where children navigate and practice using
roadways, intersections and crossings in a safe and fun  environment free
of motor vehicles. We are partnering with *Mobycon* and *Durham's Parks and
Recreation* department to bring this concept to Durham's community.

*AICP Credits offered*

We are happy to be able to offer AICP credits for the Summit.
And a reminder! This year we are offering a "*Choose your Price*"
registration, so the Summit is affordable to all.
REGISTER HERE
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=9bpMrmsZDvsJrDEzp9qbCPcjkPG7RoMs2HJ84vyvxMSoKQWhm1WwQMvLsry8nDO%2baKXZYpSTfl%2fS%2fRmLmGdubA%2bBP3RNPFMOOHFBsCHRNqk%3d>
 »

*ABOUT THE SUMMIT*

This year's BikeWalk NC Summit will be a hybrid of in-person and online
presentations. In addition to a week of pre-Summit sessions, we will be
meeting* in person* at the W.G. Pearson Center Nov. 4–6. (All in-person
events will follow the City of Durham and the Pearson Center protocols for
health and safety, which currently include masking for all indoor events.)
We will also be livestreaming the sessions for those who want to attend
virtually, and will be recording all sessions so attendees will have access
to them later.

Durham has a LOT going on in terms of bicycle and pedestrian improvements,
its Better Bus Project, its work as a Vision Zero community, and of course,
we want to experience the American Tobacco Trail and East Coast Greenway
which go through the city. We want to see how the Bus project works, and
want to let others get a short tour of Durham and the American Tobacco
Trail and what similar facilities could do for other communities. We are
also excited to be able to offer an LCI Certification Class prior to the
Summit (See information in Sidebar), and we will be showcasing how to
implement a traffic garden for kids. All of these will benefit from, and in
some cases require, in-person attendance.
We are offering a "Choose your Price" registration so the Summit is
affordable to all. MEMBERSHIP INCLUDED!

Every registration to the Summit this year comes with a one-year membership
to BikeWalk NC (normally $30), which will allow you to keep up with
important developments in the legislature and around the state concerning
active transportation.
MORE DETAILS
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=Ou%2bCJ8j%2fcKfFDmLDpK7EpNolyxLm2qWYH%2fVkLYmjSV1XoyQytoe9l%2fNZodSOPUlBxUikxg8BSmUdWPtyTliBf8M024FcwswxkrmeTel%2fd0I%3d>
SUMMIT REGISTRATION
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=9bpMrmsZDvsJrDEzp9qbCPcjkPG7RoMs2HJ84vyvxMSoKQWhm1WwQMvLsry8nDO%2baKXZYpSTfl%2fS%2fRmLmGdubA%2bBP3RNPFMOOHFBsCHRNqk%3d>

SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=uWl3lM14%2bL0dMot6%2b61pMY2iV1as9bNlFMDuyHRqGefE2%2f3saiY%2bhtq1RsgKZuWsTHBLA%2f43vnv8pDTejTvaXVLgP7QIXz1MMN8kOj92W34%3d>

*MAKE YOUR HOTEL RESERVATIONS NOW.*

You can find more information about how to reserve your hotel room here
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=tDEv6BIEr6TC7tTOs%2fkxFK2qucZvU6CDGGNryGUg%2fxnDgRX0mc3sdsCm%2fa1d4FdpaQWZqlt16Y0T7Rd8VGOUmCBAPZSElD4xJ5NL95hRXt8%3d>.
*The room block at UnScripted has been extended until Saturday, Oct. 9*

Pre-Summit LCI (League Cycling Instructor) Seminar Offered Nov. 2–4

The NC BikeWalk Summit is offering a certification class for those who want
to become LCIs, or League Certified Cycling Instructors for teaching
cycling to others. This is a much sought after certification and we are
pleased to be able to offer it.

*What is a League Cycling Instructor?*

You can learn more about becoming an LCI here
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=D98wuFEozjoYTpWv4jT5%2f3%2bIBg%2f7A%2bjCu5F6S81BHRBvTOAcOf9R5ZKkN%2blIiocfRPiW17pecsbQaePq8DF6EjyG5cqk%2fMTqtJjP3OgZnpM%3d>
.

The cost of the class is $500 until Oct. 6, late registration is $575. We
have three equity-based scholarships for the class. you can also check with
your employer or your local bicycle group or even grants in your area to
see if they offer any assistance toward the registration fee. More
information about the LCI program can be found here
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=D98wuFEozjoYTpWv4jT5%2f3%2bIBg%2f7A%2bjCu5F6S81BHRBvTOAcOf9R5ZKkN%2blIiocfRPiW17pecsbQaePq8DF6EjyG5cqk%2fMTqtJjP3OgZnpM%3d>
.

*Prerequisite* for the class is to complete the Smart Cycling (Traffic
Skills 101) class, which is being offered in Apex and Charlotte prior to
Nov. 2. Check the League of American Bicyclists website
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=qNmwT4eJ0%2bqPqLfAOedMKM5FvigqNrczxXx40f81Sb7hIoJrMNtQXBG8aYV8Xf4BiwtipCkSYpGx1beqJ5pL%2fUVFBUWHw6kQhRpRqMZNRpQ%3d>
for other opportunities to take the Smart Cycling class. You must also be a
member of the League. Send an email to contact at bikewalknc.org if you have
questions.

The LCI class schedule is:
   Tue., 11/2, 5–9 pm
   Wed., 11/3, 8 am–dark
   Thu., 11/4, 8 am–3 pm

*Instructor: Les Leatham*
LCI Class Registration
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=GEgTeLMCQcgzHcX%2fjI%2bWyXJlXlOGgWIcqjueiyKce6vHde4dOazN2r2P%2fmFJZUtteeXgPqJPDs5ODohiQzz6OKCgVqa2Ct37sJ9k7PZcoKY%3d>

*MEMBERSHIP MATTERS*

Is your membership current? Did you intend to renew or become a member, but
it slipped your mind? Do it today.* Joining now means more than you might
realize. The financial support certainly helps, but more important: You
become part of our number.

When BikeWalk NC shows up in Raleigh or calls a lawmaker, we say how many
members we represent, across how many voting districts. Big numbers demand
attention and gain us greater impact in our pursuit for mobility access and
safety.

*SOME GOOD NEWS: When you register for the BikeWalk Summit
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=9bpMrmsZDvsJrDEzp9qbCPcjkPG7RoMs2HJ84vyvxMSoKQWhm1WwQMvLsry8nDO%2baKXZYpSTfl%2fS%2fRmLmGdubA%2bBP3RNPFMOOHFBsCHRNqk%3d>,
a BikeWalk membership is included. If you can't make the Summit, please make
sure you're a member
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=PAeSKDNlfmidW57ofvxHtbpclE3PiVuWqqzHPNt4wyb6taRYyda3NZGRdlY3qB%2bKCXkNOhANC5iuX%2fgq%2fzfpHzHehPrZ47aHDnj6%2bTHyZCk%3d>,
at just $30.
JOIN AND SUPPORT
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=PAeSKDNlfmidW57ofvxHtbpclE3PiVuWqqzHPNt4wyb6taRYyda3NZGRdlY3qB%2bKCXkNOhANC5iuX%2fgq%2fzfpHzHehPrZ47aHDnj6%2bTHyZCk%3d>

Open in Browser
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=IgN0%2fZS6fDGCP9Av0J1KiPdTSZeIJvAOGzlNwLki4%2bPAANjXJOb%2f3goJbe3VVBDOlK2n8TLIjyap3N2MhJ2gMw0bmNtPdUGC5VSgxQPBELg%3d>

This message was sent to you by BikeWalkNC

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe
<https://bikewalknc.wildapricot.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=FF0KG99muS%2f1AYnd%2bAoEJaYW7FFFDO4Mpxu4AId4VLJgrm9UtQNpttWqKDP70lVA3FzWsM0c85jkjw4FMXpbDaQnjk5GgEZwLJ1xfWDUsA0%3d&up=%3fet%3drT9SdCBllL5bdWvckZMOP8jkvqdiw6Ku91uG0iyxr%252bsmokaEZSlYXADKxKfvwjxOra5Nq4UuynYHQYb579wGSlR%252fuqO0%252fZK8miJoVPd50YwMz7LWJMYoDs1YNELZvfuOFdsBBxLbmoJA0bbSHzZ8NP35mwM%253d>
at any time

--
be a kind human
Bonita Green