[Durham INC] Durham’s New Comprehensive Plan - Engagement Opportunity

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 16:02:32 EDT 2021

What We’ve Heard

Between November 2019 and February 2020, over ONE THOUSAND residents told
us what they wanted in their ideal Durham. There were a lot of common
themes:

Affordable housing, good public transportation, access to quality food,
safety, health and wellness, a sense of belonging, racial justice, good
schools, opportunities for good jobs, places to learn and play, and a clean
environment were among the top themes that residents told us they wanted
for Durham.

Between Spring 2020 and Spring 2021 we heard from residents about what
Durham’s future goals should be.

To write a new Comprehensive Plan we started by getting your feedback on
what Durham’s future goals and objectives should be. These goals and
objectives will guide how the plan is written, what recommendations are
included in the plan, and it will also guide decisions for new development
that is happening now.

The Community Goals and Objectives for the Comprehensive Plan were adopted
by the City Council on June 21 and the Board of County Commissioners on
June 28!

Check out Durham’s Comprehensive Plan Goals and Objectives!
<https://engagedurham.com/community-goals-and-objectives/>
Upcoming Engagement for the Comprehensive Plan

What is this Engagement About?

Engagement this fall will focus on hearing from residents about the types
of places they would like to see in their neighborhoods in the future.
Staff have used the Community Goals and Objectives adopted by both the City
and County this summer to develop place types for Durham. Place types are a
way of describing and mapping the kinds (or types) of places that we want
to see in Durham in the future. The place types will be displayed on a
Place Type Map, accompanied by a Place Type Guide that describes each place
type in detail. We want to create a new Place Type Map that shows what
types of places people want to see in the future in your communities.

What is Guiding this Engagement?

and Engagement Ambassadors are designing engagement strategies together.
Engagement Ambassadors are residents who receive stipends for their efforts
to engage members of their own communities who have been actively harmed or
marginalized by planning processes in the past.

What are Opportunities to Get Involved Now?

Community Meetings

We’re kicking off fall engagement by inviting residents to participate in
one of six staff-led Community Meetings over the next three months. One
will be held in Spanish, and the other five in English, with Spanish
interpretation available. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings,
as the same basic information will be shared at all meetings, with a
portion of the meeting broadly focused on a general area of Durham.

Each meeting will provide information on where we are in the Comprehensive
Plan process, details of the Place Type Map, and the tools for community
engagement on the Map. These meetings are a great way to jump into the
project!

Click on one of the meetings below to register today!

   1. Wednesday, November 3 – Meeting 1: Central Durham
   <http://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_3fPF9UqBQf6d3u40CrJxYA>
   2. Tuesday, November  9 – Meeting 2: Spanish-Speaking Session
   <http://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_RshxHxOuQ16YOXJxLq4eGA>
   3. Tuesday, November  30 – Meeting 3: East Durham
   <http://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_fnpAIBo4TJCoNBB9I8L9tw>
   4. Monday, December 6  – Meeting 4: North Durham
   <http://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_sITdzI2aRa65pi4V5CLrIw>
   5. Thursday, December 16 – Meeting 5: South Durham
   <http://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Ck1ceQE9S5OQzXWMyS8ulA>
   6. Wednesday, January 12 – Meeting 6: West Durham
   <http://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_mPpS6QClQSymyM-9pFQIFw>

Visit our engagement site for more information:
https://durham.mysocialpinpoint.com/comprehensiveplan
<https://durham.mysocialpinpoint.com/comprehensiveplan>

be a kind human
Bonita Green