[Durham INC] Fwd: Bluestem News - January 2022

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:00:51 EST 2022

Hi neighbors,

recently I had the pleasure of attending a presentation on a new approach
to burials. I found the concept of a conservation cemetery fascinating and
thought that you may as well.

Sharing
Bonita

Dear Bluestem Friends,

We hope our area’s recent snow brought you some joy and fun outdoors. It
sure brought out the birds at Bluestem! Check out the Savannah Sparrow
on Bluestem's
Instagram page
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.instagram.com/bluestemcemetery/__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphCulLPBtA$>
and follow us on Facebook too, at Bluestem Conservation Cemetery
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.facebook.com/BluestemConservationCemetery/__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphBKvsiKAA$>
.

A *warm winter welcomes *all new friends and acquaintances who have
recently signed up for Bluestem’s Newsletter. We are grateful for your
interest and look forward to meeting you at Bluestem one day soon!

Joe Miller, of Get Going NC
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://getgoingnc.com__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphAV19-hMw$>
and Get Hiking! Southeast Podcast
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://getgoingnc.com/2020/07/gethiking-southeast-podcast/__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphD0afwzbg$>
came out for a delightful conversation and walk with us a few weeks ago.
Tune in to *Bluestem, a hike for all eternity, *wherever you listen to
podcasts and enjoy Joe’s colorful descriptions and exclamations as we
explored Bluestem together.

*🎉 Bluestem's Big News **🎉*

* We expect to close on the 87 acres of quintessential Piedmont landscape *

*that so many of you have donated to NEXT WEEK!!*

We are utterly thrilled at this milestone and recognize it as a tribute to
the amazing curiosity, enthusiasm, and generous support that we have
received from so many individuals and families, encouraging Bluestem
forward. Thank you!

With Bluestem’s land secured, we can now focus on creating this unique
place of rest and restoration, both for land and people, in order to open
to the public later this Spring.

*Our Building Bluestem campaign continues! *

Your tax-deductible donations to Bluestem help establish parking areas and
roadways, seed the fields with native grasses, build pollinator gardens,
create protective buffers around the streams and pond -- *and so much
more *needed
to run and steward Bluestem*.* No gift is too small. We welcome donations
here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bluestemcemetery.org/donate.html__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphCaYjQiXw$>
.

We are also developing a menu of options created specifically for those who
have asked for tangible items of need. We will post this list on the
website in the next few weeks. If you can’t wait that long, or have in-kind
goods that support Bluestem’s mission, please get in touch with us directly
info at bluestemcemetery.org

*DONATIONS *

*Can be made online** and are tax-deductible*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bluestemcemetery.org/donate.html__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphCaYjQiXw$>
. We can also accept checks, mailed to Bluestem Community, 3710 Shannon
Road, Box 51244, Durham, NC 27707.  For high-level donations, we offer
naming opportunities and/or burial plot discounts. Please get in touch
directly if you or your group/business is interested in those opportunities.

*TOURS *

Tours at Bluestem will take place beginning mid-February and occur twice a
week. Information about the tours and sign-up timeframes will be posted on
our website as soon as we have closed on the property.

*BURIAL PLOT SALES*

We are finalizing Bluestem’s Burial Rates and will also post this
information online as soon as we can.

*PROGRAMS *

*Bluestem Community* is growing every day with your outreach to friends,
family, and colleagues. With Covid still present in our communities, we are
not meeting in person at this time; however, we do hold weekly *Bluestem
Conversations
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bluestemcemetery.org/bluestem_conversations.html__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphC8bccN2Q$>*
 online where we cover topics of interest as well as general information
about Bluestem. Check our calendar
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bluestemcommunitync.org/community_events.html__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphDvn4tArA$>
for upcoming opportunities.

*Tomorrow, Tuesday 1/25,* Anne Weston of the Green Burial Project
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.greenburialproject.org__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphDFQ7aFTA$>will
join us for a conversation about *Renewing Burial Traditions *and green
burial options in the area. *Please join us. *Zoom link for 1/25:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83390790759
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83390790759__;!!OToaGQ!5PwDF-_IzKSXn2rulteAbWLvgdTj4u5HJWerKWj5u_KBsouUCZ6roZQzNfTVphDqZWaizg$>

*Thank you for accompanying us *

*on this exciting path to Building Bluestem 🐦*

Keep safe and warm, and we'll share more news next month, including
opportunities for volunteering at Bluestem.

Heidi + Jeff

PS. If you do not wish to receive Bluestem's updates, please reply to this
email with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line. Thank you.
--
Heidi Hannapel
Jeff Masten