[Durham INC] Fwd: RESCHEDULED! ABCD in Action Global Gatherings: Gifts of Older Adults

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:34:43 EDT 2022

RESCHEDULED! ABCD in Action Global Gatherings: Gifts of Older Adults

About this event
How Can We Recognize And Unlock The Assets Of Older Adults, in Order to
Build Stronger Communities?

It’s an old adage in the aging network – “Aging- Everybody’s Doing It!” and
indeed that is a universal circumstance for every person on the planet.
Yet, as we age, we also get inducted into a “labeled community” with all
the presumptions, pejoratives, prejudices, perceptions, and biases that any
labeled community endures. Even if we have never been before, we are thrust
into a group and transformed into a “bucket of needs.”

But these same people, often 20-25% of the local population, are a
community’s most experienced citizens, with gifts honed over a lifetime.
How can these immense assets and gifts be identified, appreciated, and
applied in any community? How have communities that engage and connect with
these citizens gained when they are integrated into the mainstream of
community life? How can ABCD tools be used to eliminate a framework of
deficiency to one of purpose and abundance? If everybody’s doing it, how
can we improve it and use it in everybody’s community?

Ideas, stories, and examples are out there. What are yours? Join us and
share.

Greetings -

Back in December, you were registered for an ABCD Global Gathering that was
going to focus on the gifts that older adults bring to communities. We had
to postpone that Gathering due to a windstorm that knocked out my power and
internet for a day.

We're now able to reschedule that event and we're hoping you'll register
for this opportunity. It will be held at the same time as previously
scheduled (9 am Central Time US) on Thursday, April 28. You can find more
details and register here:

ABCD Global Gathering: Gifts of Older Adults #2
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/303031765167>

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at
abcdinaction at gmail.com

Thank you!

Deb Wisniewski

Lead Community Host, ABCD in Action
Deb Wisniewski
she/her/hers
ABCD in Action, co-founder and lead community host

*We don't accomplish anything in this world alone.....whatever happens, is
the result of the whole tapestry of one's life and all the weavings of
individual threads from one to another that create something.  ~Sandra Day
O'Connor*