[Durham INC] Trail Repairs scheduled

Smith, Annette Annette.Smith at durhamnc.gov
Thu May 26 11:39:58 EDT 2022

Hello neighbors,
 I am sharing valuable information on the upcoming City Trail repair project.

Good afternoon,

I'm reaching out to share exciting news about the launch of a project to repair several miles of some of the City's oldest greenway trails. This project will fix decades of deferred maintenance along the City's greenway trails to improve safety, usability, and user experience. The repairs are being performed within the boundaries of the City's greenway easements and the equipment/vehicles will enter the trails from public street crossings. We've walked the trail corridors and didn't identify any locations where adjacent private properties would be disturbed or used for access but trail users and neighbors will likely notice heavy equipment and construction crews on the trails. I've included a summary (below) of the efforts DPR has done to publicly provide project information and announcements of upcoming work and closures. Digital message boards and detour maps have been posted at trailhead areas to help reach trail users that may not obtain information through social media.

Planned trail repair locations are listed below, in no particular order, and trails will be repaired as funding allows.

  *   Ellerbe Creek Trail - from Club Boulevard to Stadium Drive
  *   Rock Quarry Spur/Vietnam Veterans Memorial Trail - from Stadium Drive to W Murray Avenue
  *   West Ellerbe Creek Trail - from Albany Drive to Maryland Avenue
  *   Warren Creek Trail - from Stadium Drive to Horton Road
  *   Rocky Creek Greenway - connecting Fayetteville Street Elementary, Elmira Avenue Park, and Shepherd Middle School
  *   South Ellerbe Creek Trail - from Dacian Avenue to Club Boulevard/Ellerbe Creek Trail
  *   American Tobacco Trail (Phase D) - from Dunhill Drive to NC 54
  *   Riddle Road Spur - from American Tobacco Trail to Briggs Avenue
  *   Renaissance Parkway Sidepath - from NC 751 to Fayetteville Road
  *   Sandy Creek Trail - from Sandy Creek Park to Pickett Road
  *   New Hope Creek Trail - from Old Chapel Hill Road to Old Chapel Hill Road Park

More Project Information:

  *   DPR Home page - https://dprplaymore.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=285

  *   DPR Construction & Maintenance Page - https://dprplaymore.org/490/Construction-Projects-and-Maintenance
  *
  *   DPR Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram Post Dates:
     *   General Post about the Project on the Blog - April 11 -  https://dprplaymore.blogspot.com/2022/04/repaving-durham-one-trail-at-time.html
     *   Update on Trail Closures - April 15 with detour maps
     *   Update on Trail Closures - May 1
     *   Update on Trail Closures - May 18

  *   The project will be featured in an upcoming Bull City Today on Durham Television Network and it will remain available on the City's YouTube page<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLeX6M8cvLwPfuUBI2bXZlMP5q8Mi0mk7>

I hope we can connect and I look forward to partnering with you.

Best,
Lindsay

Lindsay R. Smart, AICP, CPTED-CPD

Sr. Park & Trail Planner

Parks and Recreation, City of Durham

400 Cleveland Street

Durham, NC 27701

P 919-560-4355, ext. 27220

Lindsay.Smart at DurhamNC.gov

DPRPlayMore.org<http://dprplaymore.org/>

Play More: Connecting our whole community to wellness, the outdoors, and lifelong learning.

Email correspondence to and from this sender may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and can be disclosed to third parties.