[Durham INC] Former Durham planning director "ready to help Raleigh embrace rapid growth"

Stephen Knill knillsj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:03:41 EDT 2022

As a real estate agent I see different needs for different family makeups. Mixed usage is becoming the most efficient overall for many but not necessarily cheap. Just look at North Raleigh. I can’t speak for the developed Durham neighborhoods but many undeveloped topographies aren’t good for higher density based on buffers, stream, tree saves etc. We’re seeing some of that out here. Also finding developers who will build mixed use in SE Durham is very hard in that Durham abdicated Commercial development by sitting idly by and watching Raleigh/Wake build Brier Creek and take all the retail tax receipts with it. The area has been built to be car centric with zero buses and no contiguous bike lanes or sidewalks. And a bunch of homes in between developments are on County land. The Planning Departments approach has been to support building wherever developers can purchase the land, leading to a hodgepodge footprint.

Stephen Knill
Mobile +1 917 620 4941
knillsj at gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone