[Durham INC] Preservation Durham Cemetery Tours - Please post to your neighborhood listserve

tom miller miller.tom2022 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:24:24 EDT 2022

Please help me out by posting this on your neighborhood listserves.

Thanks

Tom

Preservation Durham is offering a number of great tours in Durham’s
beautiful Historic Cemeteries this month.  Please sign up!

Historic Beechwood Cemetery – October 15 at 10 a.m. and October 16 at 2 p.m
– Corner of Cornwallis Road and Fayetteville Street.  Look for the
Preservation Durham banner.

The City of Durham created Maplewood Cemetery in 1872 for its white
citizens.  The city did not create a city cemetery for its African-American
citizens until the late 1920s and then only after two decades of advocacy by
Durham’s African-American leadership.  That cemetery is Beechwood.  In this
sacred place are memorialized the lives of people who lifted themselves up
from slavery, who built lives and communities amid a world of adversity.
Here are inspiring stories of life, loving, triumph, and the occasional
tragedy. Preservation Durham’s expert tour guides will dive deep into
Durham’s history.  Meet great educators, business leaders, laborers,
farmers, opera singers, musicians, scholars, and civil rights and political
leaders.  These are the people who, in the words of W. E. B. DuBois,
“upbuilt” Durham.

Sign up for the Beechwood Tour with this Eventbrite link:

 <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beechwood-cemetery-tour-tickets-422892612187>
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beechwood-cemetery-tour-tickets-422892612187

Historic Maplewood Cemetery Special Halloween Tour – October 29 at 9 and 11
a.m. – The tours will begin at the Kent Street entrance to the cemetery near
the intersection of Kent and Morehead Avenue.  Look for the Preservation
Durham banner.

Celebrate Durham history and Halloween with a guided tour of Durham’s famous
Old Maplewood Cemetery. Preservation Durham tour guides will tell stories of
triumph and tragedy, joy and sorrow, wealth and poverty, lives long and
short. In this special Halloween edition of PD’s Maplewood tour, we will
focus on death by war, disease, accident, foul play, and a fall from a great
height. Our stories will be mournful and occasionally hair-raising!  Learn
about funerary traditions and grave art and architecture. PD will not be
blamed if you have trouble sleeping after this tour!

Sign up for the Maplewood Halloween Tour with this link:

<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fall-halloween-maplewood-cemetery-historic-wal
ks-tickets-422780737567>
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fall-halloween-maplewood-cemetery-historic-walk
s-tickets-422780737567

For all tours:  There is some walking so wear sensible shoes.  It may be a
bit chilly, so bring a sweater or jacket.  There are no bathrooms so “go”
before you come to the cemetery, if you know what we mean.  We will have
water.  ALL TOURS are $12 plus tax and fees through Eventbrite. Tours are
free for Preservation Durham members. Please sign up right away- spaces are
limited. Tours last about 1 ½  hours.

If the links above give you trouble, visit the Preservation Durham Website
at  <https://preservationdurham.org/> https://preservationdurham.org/ .