[Durham INC] Commissioner Brenda Howerton Sworn In as Member of NCACC Board

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Fri Oct 21 11:30:44 EDT 2022

[DCO_Shield_color]

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                                    Date: 10/21/2022
Contact: Public Information Office                   Phone: (919) 560-0000/Fax: (919) 560-0020
E-mail: publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov<mailto:publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov>

Commissioner Brenda Howerton Sworn In as Member of NCACC Board

Durham, NC - In kicking off the new term for the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners (NCACC) Board of Directors<https://www.ncacc.org/board-of-directors/>, Durham County Commissioner Chair Brenda Howerton attended the first board convening under the association's 106th president, Washington County Commissioner Tracey Johnson. The first meeting of the new board term included a swearing in of Commissioner Howerton and fellow members, among other Association business.

"I am delighted to again serve as a member of the Board of Directors for the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners," shared Howerton. "Our role is to collectively develop policy and advocate for state and federal programs and services that respond to the ever-changing needs of our North Carolina residents."

During the meeting, board members advanced the proposed NCACC legislative agenda as part of the Association's member-driven policy setting process. The board reviewed recommended goal proposals from the Legislative Goals Committee and discussed, revised, and approved proposed state and federal goals, core values, and guiding principles statements. All goal proposals approved by the board receive a two-thirds majority vote, reflecting a unified, statewide set of advocacy priority proposals. The board gave final approval to the package of goal proposals, Association core values, and guiding principles that will be voted on by the full membership at the Legislative Goals Conference in November.

In addition, President Johnson presided over the inaugural meeting of the Connecting Counties Task Force, appointed by the president as part of her presidential initiative on broadband access. "I am thrilled to begin working with my Connecting Counties task force members to expand broadband connectivity throughout North Carolina. We are passionate about understanding the on-the-ground impacts of disconnection in counties and have a goal of helping counties work with partners on broadband expansion projects," said President Johnson. Task force members explored the complexities and opportunities in expanding broadband to unserved and underserved communities in North Carolina. The task force, co-chaired by Cabarrus County Board Chair Steve Morris and Bertie County Commissioner Ron Wesson, was given a briefing from experts at the NC Department of Information Technology.

"I applaud President Johnson's presidential initiative that focuses on Broadband Access," Howerton said. "Certainly, during the past few years of the pandemic, we came to fully understand the need for more and improved access for all of our residents from the mountains to the sea. Certainly, our quality of life depends on significant broadband expansion and internet access."

The board also welcomed guest Maurice Smith, Chief Executive Officer of the Local Government Federal Credit Union (LGFCU). In recognition of Smith's retirement, the board presented him with a resolution of appreciation for his leadership in the CEO role, as well as his commitment to the important partnership between the NCACC and the credit union.

Board members also received a briefing on the financial status of the Association and approved its annual audit report, as well as approved the appointments of members to the Oversight Committee of the North Carolina Property Tax Solution (NCPTS), which leads to the continual improvement of the NCPTS platform.

###
About the NCACC
The North Carolina Association of County Commissioners (NCACC)<North%20Carolina%20Association%20of%20County%20Commissioners%20(NCACC)> is the official voice of all 100 counties on issues being considered by the General Assembly, Congress and federal and state agencies. The Association provides expertise to counties in the areas of advocacy, research, risk management and education and leadership training.