[Durham INC] Take Action for Safer Streets

John Tallmadge director at bikedurham.org
Wed Mar 15 14:58:06 EDT 2023

If you value safe streets and trails for walking, biking or rolling, like
we do. Right now you have the opportunity to tell the City Council and City
Manager that you want the City’s budget to reflect our values. Next Monday,
March 20th at 7:00pm, the City Council will hold a public hearing listening
to residents’ priorities for the coming year’s budget. We are asking for
the Council to adopt our *#VisionZeroDurham* agenda:

   -

   *Fund a full-time, dedicated Vision Zero Coordinator.* The person in
   this position will lead an interdepartmental, interdisciplinary team in
   identifying, prioritizing, and implementing measures to reduce traffic
   deaths and serious injuries. It’s important to hire this position now as a
   Vision Zero Action plan will be developed later this year.
   -

   *Fund the repair of existing sidewalks, bring curb ramps up to ADA
   standards and convert all existing bike lanes into protected bike lanes.*
   -

   *Provide annual funding commitments for traffic calming and the
   completion of safe city-wide sidewalk and protected bike lane networks.*

We are organizing three ways that you can make an impact.

   -

   *Volunteer to attend our media event*
   <https://actionnetwork.org/forms/volunteer-to-support-visionzerodurham?source=email_INC&>
    in support of the #VisionZeroDurham agenda on Monday, March 20. We’ll
   meet at the intersection of W. Main St, Morgan St, and Watts St. at 6:00pm.
   We’ll make remarks at 6:15pm and head to City Hall as a rolling protected
   bike lane at 6:30pm.

VOLUNTEER
<https://actionnetwork.org/forms/volunteer-to-support-visionzerodurham?source=email_INC&>

   -

   *Volunteer to share a 2 minute message*
   <https://actionnetwork.org/forms/volunteer-to-support-visionzerodurham?source=email_INC&>
    during the Public Hearing on March 20 at 7pm. We are looking for 10
   volunteers who will speak in person or on Zoom. We are seeking 2 or 3
   volunteers who are willing to call into the meeting from a location where
   there has been a recent traffic death.

SIGN THE PETITION
<https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/support-the-visionzerodurham-agenda?source=email_INC&>

   -

   *Sign the petition*
   <https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/support-the-visionzerodurham-agenda?source=email_INC&>
    supporting the #VisionZeroDurham agenda.

Be well,

John
--
John Tallmadge (he/him/his)
Executive Director

*Working for safe, affordable, & sustainable transportation for all*
bikedurham.org/give <http://bikedurham.org/donate> [image: 🚲][image:
🚌] [image:
🚶]