[Durham INC] Urge Duke change parking policy at least during performances

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Mon Apr 10 19:54:12 EDT 2023

> Date: April 10, 2023 at 7:48:48 PM EDT
> To: Duke Performances Vice Provost for the Arts Duke Arts John Brown <jbrown at duke.edu>, "Duke Performances Mgr. of Campus & Community Initiatives Brian Valentyn, PhD" <brian.valentyn at duke.edu>, "DUKE PARKING and TRANSP. DIR. Carl DePinto" <carl.depinto at duke.edu>, Duke Parking Secretary <cay.melges at duke.edu>, "DUKE PARKING & TRANSP. Dept. GENERAL" <tranpark at duke.edu>, Duke Performances Business Manager Gloria Hunt <jamila.belk at duke.edu>, Duke Performances announcements <dukeperformances-announce at duke.edu>, "Duke Performances Dir. Artist Services & Production Suzanne Despres" <suzanne.despres at duke.edu>, Duke Performances Elizabeth Thompson <elizabeth.thompson at duke.edu>
> Cc: Duke Vice President Public Relations Michael Schoenfeld <michael.schoenfeld at duke.edu>, "Duke Dir. Special Events and Ceremonies Terry Chambliss" <terry.chambliss at duke.edu>, "Duke Vice Pres. for Durham and Regional Affairs Dr. Stelfanie Williams" <stelfanie.williams at duke.edu>, Duke OFFICE FOR DURHAM AND REGIONAL AFFAIRS <duke-community-engagement at duke.edu>, "Duke VP Facilities Mgmt. John Noonan" <john.noonnan at duke.edu>, Duke Office of News & Communications INFO <dukenews at duke.edu>

Duke parking, Duke Performances, public relations, Duke Office for Durham and Regional Affairs, InterNeighborhood Council (INC, a coalition of neighborhood associations),

I urge you to open these parking lots again to the public that were used in the past. Years ago attendees were allowed to park in the parking lots in a number of locations. We could park behind Allen and Social Science Buildings between Gross Chemical and Biological Sciences (formerly known as School of Forestry. At that time there was a driveway that went between those two buildings.) The parking lot behind the Divinity-Gray Building was used. I know about these parking areas from first hand experience since I used all of the them at one time or another.

Attendees could be informed of parking areas at a number of different times. Duke Performances sends out reminders for performances. As part of the reminders Duke Performances could include a map of campus and say which parking lots are available in addition to the Bryan Center. In addition while people are buying tickets at the Bryan Center and through the web site people could be informed of parking areas.

This past Thursday cars parked on two levels of ramps and outside of the parking spaces. I was on the top parking level and cars kept coming. I do not know how these cars parked.

Getting tickets in advance could speed up the parking. Doing so would lead attendees to
1. not have a negative opinion of Duke University,
2. have a more pleasant experience of the performances, and
3. encourage attendees to return for other performances.

Parking areas could also be open during sporting events or better yet in general after 6 pm. Duke simply does not need money that it currently raises from parking given that the university has an enourmous endowment.

I appreciate your considering making these changes. Thank you.

Laura
Laura Drey