[Durham INC] Fwd: Protect the Ellerbe Creek Waterbird Colony!

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 18:02:45 EDT 2023

Hi neighbors,
 Ellerbe Creek <https://www.durhamnc.gov/711/Ellerbe-Creek-Watershed> is
one of Durham's Watersheds that diligently works to preserve biodiversity
in the many nature preserves that they steward. I am sharing information on
a request from ECWA to help preserve their waterbird colony. I ask that you
take action on their request by emailing the council before April 20th.

Thanks in advance,
Be a kind human
Bonita

To email Council, click on the link that says email Durham city council.
That opens a document that you can copy and paste into another email, then
you just adapt the sentences in bold with your own wording and put your
name at the bottom (the document also has some bullet points that can help
a person choose their wording)

Thank you!
Chris

Tell City Council to create the Ellerbe Creek Waterbird Colony Dedicated
Nature Preserve.
[image: Little cobblestone fort surrounded by trees.]
<https://ellerbecreek.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5f71f43960cafdda2346ae04f&id=7de617ec13&e=9cc4be4ba7>
[image: Little cobblestone fort surrounded by trees.]
<https://ellerbecreek.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5f71f43960cafdda2346ae04f&id=dc7079e370&e=9cc4be4ba7>

We Need Your Help to Protect the Ellerbe Creek Waterbird Colony

Hi Chris,

Durham has a unique opportunity to create a massive natural area that would
permanently protect the largest nesting colony of great blue herons, and
the only known nesting site of great egrets, in the region. We are
currently referring to this area as the *Ellerbe Creek Waterbird Colony
Nature Preserve*
<https://ellerbecreek.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5f71f43960cafdda2346ae04f&id=a39a2eb30e&e=9cc4be4ba7>.
Durham City already owns the land, but they still need to give it formal
protection.

*Email the Durham City Council*
<https://ellerbecreek.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5f71f43960cafdda2346ae04f&id=1c5df560b2&e=9cc4be4ba7>*
before their April 20th Work Session to tell them that you want them to
vote “Yes” to supporting formal protection of this critical and beautiful
heron rookery by Memorial Day on May 31st.*

Make sure to stay tuned for more information on how to sign-up for our
annual Memorial Day Heron Rookery Nature Walks!

Thank you,
[image: Chris Dreps' signature] <chris at ellerbecreek.org>

Chris Dreps

*Land Protection Director*
VIEW EMAIL TEMPLATE
<https://ellerbecreek.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5f71f43960cafdda2346ae04f&id=ab6598959a&e=9cc4be4ba7>

Support ECWA

The Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association’s vision is a living creek
connecting human and natural communities in Durham. Through land
acquisition, collaboration with the city, and public education, we hope to
create a Durham where residents can bike or walk across the watershed and
stop at local businesses and nature preserves along the way.

Be a part of our vision by making a tax-deductible donation today.
DONATE
<https://ellerbecreek.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5f71f43960cafdda2346ae04f&id=8debed6199&e=9cc4be4ba7>
[image: Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association logo of a blue heron with the
Durham skyline in the background.]
<https://ellerbecreek.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5f71f43960cafdda2346ae04f&id=8a1e063d5a&e=9cc4be4ba7>

PO Box 2679, Durham, NC 27715-2679
[image: Instagram icon]