[Durham INC] The Ongoing Fight for Freedom: Stories of NC’s Black Veterans (Northstar Church of the Arts, Sept. 21)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 15:05:39 EDT 2023

The Ongoing Fight for Freedom: Stories of NC’s Black Veterans

Thurs. Sept. 21 | 6:30 pm | Northstar Church of the Arts, 220 W Geer

>From the Revolutionary War to modern day military operations, Black North Carolinians have fought for freedom, both on and off the traditional battlefield. They have served the U.S. military with valor and vigor, and cultivated a rich legacy of courage, compassion, and community building that has too often gone unrecognized. This presentation & performance sheds light on just a few of the stories of the Black freedom fighters, resistors, soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines who hail from the Old North State. Meet some of North Carolina's most courageous characters, from the Harlowe Patriots to the Harlem Hellfighters, as they shine a light into our shared history and encourage audience members to contemplate the ongoing fight for freedom that impacts us all. (Learn more about performer and show creator Dr. Sonny Kelly at Legacy Heirs Productions.)

Details and FREE registration at bit.ly/BlackVets - This performance runs around 1 hour, 10 minutes and will be followed by a 30-45 min. panel discussion. It is open to any and all interested. K-12 teachers in attendance can request .2 CEUs post-attendance.

This FREE event is provided by Carolina K-12 atCarolina Public Humanities, NC Department of Natural & Cultural Resources (as part of NC'sAmerica 250 initiative), North Star Church of the Arts, NCCU School of Law, & theBooker T. Spicely Symposium Planning Committee.