[Durham INC] Last town meeting with candidates recorded yesterday and links to all recordings

Mimi Kessler mimikessler1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 13:27:51 EDT 2023

(posting on behalf of Herman Sperling)

The last of 7 town halls for the municipal election for the 3 at-large
seats on the city council (12 are running) and for Mayor (8 are running).
The top 6 of the 12 running will be on the final ballot.  The top 2 of the
8 running for mayor will be on the final ballot.  *Early voting for the
Primary starts TODAY, the 21st.*

*City Council Recordings:*

We presented 11 of the 12 candidates for City Council with only one
candidate not being able to fit us in his schedule, Waldo Fenner. Here are
those recordings:

·       Javiera Caballero, Bonita Green, Shelia Ann Huggins:
https://youtu.be/Qj06Mdf454E

·       Nate Baker, Monique Hosley-Hyman, Shelia Ann Huggins:
https://youtu.be/vHl7l_1eUmA

·       Shanetta Burris, JJ Campbell: https://youtu.be/PXtuRqVOW9U

·       Kalilah Karim, Carl Rist, Sheri Zann Rosenthal:
https://youtu.be/5Db3oUg3vfY

*Mayoral Recordings:*

We presented 6 of the 8 candidates for Mayor.  Neither Nick Pettiford nor
Jonae Dunston showed up for Wednesday’s event.  Wednesday evening Marshall
Williams Jr. attended alone.

·       Marshall Williams Jr,: https://youtu.be/qejpEHkQkaE

·       DeDreana Freeman and Leonardo Williams: https://youtu.be/GEgxoFeFMqw

·       Charlitta Burruss, Sylvester Williams and Mike Woodard:
https://youtu.be/kQMpwJA8fLc

(Note: There were references in these recordings to the following topics
where we want everyone to understand the acronyms used in the discussions:

·       *DCHC* – Durham, Carrboro, Chapel Hill

·       *MPO* – Metropolitan Planning Organization. This is a federally
mandated group to plan transportation in coordination with state (NCDOT)
and federal (DOT) agencies

·       *HEART* – is an unarmed crisis intervention program
https://www.durhamnc.gov/4576/Community-Safety

·       *SCAD* amendment - Simplifying Codes for More Affordable
Development.  A 50-page proposal produced by developers that has some
interesting and controversial components.)

*SUMMARY*

We averaged about 50 device connections during the sessions and about 300
views of each recording so far.  I referenced devices because that is what
we can measure (the number of connected devices). But in many cases, two or
more people may have watched on one device, so we estimate that we may have
directly reached >500 people who we hope are likely voters. And then there
were pass-along descriptions to others.

The *Leesville Coalition* organized and offered this effort to provide
voters with the insights and information they need to make an informed
decision at the polls.

*INC* partnered with them rather than having their own forums and greatly
appreciates the Leesville Coalition for allowing us to submit questions and
be able to post these recordings on our own site.

While our purpose is not to support any specific candidate(s), many of you
have asked for our recommendations.  The *Leesville Coalition* will attempt
to solve that dilemma by only offering our recommendations to those who
specifically ask for it.  We are planning to have it available this coming
Tuesday morning, September 26th.

If you would like the recommendations, please write to Herman Sperling at
herman at hermansperling.com and he will send it to you.

The filters we will employ to make these recommendations are:

1.       Ethics

2.       Ability to perform

4.       Leaning moderate (there's no such thing as a conservative running)

5.       Support for our area (Leesville Coalition Area)

6.       Accountability

7.       Transparency

8.       Metrics-driven decision making

9.       Electability

*PLEASE VOTE* in both the Primary (October 10th) and General Election
(November 7th).  This is a very important election at an inflection point
in the future of our city. Our public safety, drinking water, roads, and
more are at stake.

Mimi Kessler
919-599-2892