[Durham INC] Nov/Dec minutes

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 3 17:44:39 EST 2023

Please let me know about any additions or corrections.  Regards, pat

November/December Delegate Meeting

InterNeighborhood Council of Durham, Via Zoom

November 28, 2023

Attending the meeting were:

Neighborhoods

Colony Park – Liz Conroy

Cross Counties – Pat Carstensen

Long Meadow – Pakis Bessias

Morehead Hill – Bruce Mitchell

Old North Durham – Mimi O’Brien

Old West Durham – Daniel Singer

Trinity Park –  Mimi Kessler

Tuscaloosa-Lakewood – Susan Sewell

Watts Hospital Hillandale – Tom Miller, Sherri Zann Rosenthal

Guests

(none)

President Mimi Kessler called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone.  Tom Miller moved to approve the minutes, and they were approved.

Neighborhood Reports

  *   Tom Miller reported on a possible SCAD fall-out.  A developer purchased 2 lots in WHHNA, tore down a house, made 2 exempt subdivisions of 3 houses each, applied under EHC to build 4 houses in each “subdivision” but ran into an issue the corner lots need to have 2 street yards in a UDO revision; they went to the Board of Adjustment and the neighborhood opposed them and won.  Had they won, the depth of street yards on the street would have be reset to a new narrower standard.  Now they have gone back to the Planning Department since SCAD will possibly enable them to do anything they want to with the yards.  So all is confusion but likely the kind of mess we will see more of.  It’s around the corner from the woman whose driveway was flooded by the bad actions of the developer of the adjacent lot.

  *   Trinity Park would like Gregson and Duke to become two-way to slow down traffic.  Bike Durham came to one of the neighborhood meetings and had a meeting last night with some City Council members and member-elects.  The 2020 Transportation Study called for all the one-way streets to be converted. (https://www.durhamnc.gov/3796/Move-Durham-Transportation-Study-2020)   Mangum and Roxboro are slated for re-paving in next couple years, and the re-striping would would be an opportunity to make them two-way.  Residents on Duke and Vickers south of the freeway are vehemently against making these streets two-way.  Mimi will publish when the meetings are happening.

Follow up on SCAD – It isn’t clear anyone except possibly Jillian knows what they passed, given the section numbers she rattled off.  It is going before the County Commissioners, so we have another chance to get some clarity.  We need pictures of what we are worried about.  A useful site for zoning maps: https://www.durhamnc.gov/423/Zoning-Atlas-Durham-Maps

Recruitment: Tom is working with a couple neighborhoods who might join INC.  Susan has a list of every organization that has ever paid dues.  We need to get a process and application form for joining INC, as well as a process to get contact for a representative and alternate.

Web Presence: Can we have more content (more visually interesting) on the website?  The list-serve is one way to people see what we do.  We have some visibility right now with SCAD, which we should capitalize on.  Susan will work on a form / information for new members.    Dan Singer is willing to help with the website.

Goals: We should try to meet in person.  Let’s have some fun events, such as neighborhood heroes and candidate forums.  These are in addition to web presence and recruitment.

Adjourn. The next meeting is in January.