[Durham INC] City Council candidates tonight

Debra Hawkins dhawkins913311 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 04:48:23 EST 2024

Well, I for one am not interested in seeing a person get appointed who
dropped out of the race after ballots were printed, leaving a more serious
candidate who would have properly stayed in the race and competed against
other stronger candidates for the will of the voters directly - and polled
a millimeter less than the dropout's own minimal number of votes to squeak
in - while openly declaring that she wasn't serious about continuing to
make the full effort and compete for the position relative to the other
candidates and just expected that she would get appointed instead because
she had an in with a literal single handful of people in the city who made
the decision instead of the voters... And apparently will continue to do
so, whatever any of us may write to them between now and the decision.

That is a person I will actively campaign against both now and in the
future alongside advocating for the reintroduction at the state leg. for
the reintroduction of municipal ranked choice voting so that we don't have
to endure this kind of lack of will of the voter on our city council ever
again, and everyone who sits and serves there will be elected by a true
majority of all the people who choose to cast a vote - which will probably
end up being a larger percentage of those eligible when they see that their
vote really matters, and which will eliminate the need for costly primaries
that led up to this disenfranchisement of voters in the first place - so
that all that taxpayer money could be directed towards affordable housing
and transit needs instead.

www.batterballotnc.org

Over and out,

DAH