[Durham INC] Help requested: Burch Ave Rezoning

tom miller miller.tom2022 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 17:52:51 EDT 2024

Richard:

If I understand what you sent us correctly, the current version of the development plan for this East campus UC rezoning includes a version of a much-debated commitment that says access to the subject property from Gattis Street (i.e., form the neighborhood) will be allowed only if, at the time of site plan review, it can be demonstrated that the connection is necessary for whatever proposed development Duke my have in mind under the UC zoning.  This commitment on its face is not lawful inasmuch as it contemplates a future discretionary decision to be made at an administrative (staff) level.  Administrative decisions cannot be discretionary.  Site plans must be approved because the comply with the zoning rules or disapproved if they don’t.  a commitment in a development plan is a zoning rule specific to the property which is subject to the development plan.  The council cannot approve a development plan commitment that leaves it up to staff’s discretion at the time of site plan review whether something is necessary or not – especially when, at the time of the rezoning, we have no idea what the proposed development contemplated by a future site plan may be.

Tom