[Durham INC] Duke Community Affairs 🌞 Back-to-School Edition

Duke Community Affairs communityaffairs at duke.edu
Thu Sep 5 10:06:26 EDT 2024

Students Love on Durham, Homebuyers Club Evolves, Partner News & More

Alternate text

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/wtgkf7)

#
New internship builds nonprofit capacity (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/cmhkf7)

An inaugural internship at Duke Community Affairs (DCA), made possible by
The Duke Endowment centennial gift, (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/seikf7)
brought students inside enduring community partnerships and deepened their appreciation of Durham.

### COMMUNITY, EDUCATION, EMPLOYMENT, HEALTH, HOUSING

Read more (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/86ikf7)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/ozjkf7)

###
 Duke Homebuyers Club keeps innovating (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/4rkkf7)

Employee program expands monthly meetings and tools to advance home ownership.
➜ (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/kklkf7)

HOUSING

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/0cmkf7)

###
 College Advising Corp levels playing field for NC teens (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/g5mkf7)

A decade of supporting high schoolers in rural communities with post-secondary planning.
 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/wxnkf7)
% link:https://community.duke.edu/impact-story/cac-second-decade/ name="https://community.duke.edu/impact-story/cac-second-decade/" content="" %]
% link:https://community.duke.edu/impact-story/cac-second-decade/ name="âžœ" content="➜" %]

COMMUNITY, EDUCATION

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/cqokf7)

###
 Service learning class digs into food access in Durham (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/sipkf7)

Bass Connections team identifies strategies to increase food access, decrease waste, and improve food security for Durham residents
➜ (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/8aqkf7)

COMMUNITY, HEALTH

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/o3qkf7)

###
 Lars Lyon Service Award recognizes Ashley Talwar (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/4vrkf7)

Her peers emphasized her "passion and drive towards the mission of The Backpack Project Durham" was singular.
➜ (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/koskf7)

COMMUNITY, HOUSING

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/0gtkf7)

#
 Durham teens go behind the scenes at Duke Health (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/g9tkf7)

High school students in the MaryAnn Black Internship program joined Duke health care professionals to learn about more than 70 different health care careers. Thirty-one students pursued their interests in health care careers.

### COMMUNITY, EDUCATION, EMPLOYMENT, HEALTH

Read more (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/w1ukf7)

SEE MORE STORIES AT
COMMUNITY.DUKE.EDU (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/cuvkf7)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/smwkf7)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/8exkf7)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/o7xkf7)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/4zykf7)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/kszkf7)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/0k0kf7)

"We're big fans of Duke, so having our son go to the greatest university in the world in the greatest city in the world is a dream come true."

\- Leonardo Williams, Mayor of Durham in
Duke (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/gd1kf7)

Dive into some of the resources we shared with middle-schoolers during AI Immersion Week, part of the PepsiCo TechEd program, held at Duke.

  * Not sure how to use ChatGPT (or similar programs) for work? Ask it to draft a difficult letter or email. Summarize a complex document. Get help writing a grant proposal. And for fun,
see how to have a “conversation” with a historic figure (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/w51kf7)
like Terry Sanford.

  *
Canva (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/cy2kf7)
is an versatile design program with built in AI helpers it calls Magic tools. Start using it for free to create everything from flyers to Instagram posts to videos
% link:https://www.google.com/search?q=canva+youtube+intro&oq;=canva+youtube&gs;_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgFEAAYgAQyCQgAEEUYORiABDIKCAEQABixAxiABDINCAIQABiDARixAxiABDIHCAMQABiABDIMCAQQABgUGIcCGIAEMgcIBRAAGIAEMgcIBhAAGIAEMgcIBxAAGIAEMgcICBAAGIAEMgcICRAAGIAE0gEIOTMxNWowajSoAgCwAgA&sourceid;=chrome&ie;=UTF-8 name="https://www.google.com/search?q=canva+youtube+intro&oq=canva+youtube&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgFEAAYgAQyCQgAEEUYORiABDIKCAEQABixAxiABDINCAIQABiDARixAxiABDIHCAMQABiABDIMCAQQABgUGIcCGIAEMgcIBRAAGIAEMgcIBhAAGIAEMgcIBxAAGIAEMgcICBAAGIAEMgcICRAAGIAE0gEIOTMxNWowajSoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8" content="" %]. Best of all, it was started by a young woman who has already signed the pledge to give away most of her money!

  * One of the next big breakthroughs in AI (coming soon!) is
Sora (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/sq3kf7)
with text to video capability. For some real inspiration, check out these
shorts by artists. (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/8i4kf7)

# More @ community partners

  * Bull City Future Fund will help area youth: Durham Mayor Leonardo Williams, with United Way of the Greater Triangle and Triangle Community Foundation, announced the
Bull City Future Fund (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/ob5kf7), to raise funds to provide nonprofits serving Durham's young people with additional capacity.

  * Renovations have started to help long-time residents on Open Air Camp Road in Durham, thanks to some creative partnering, as
shared by Community Home Trust (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/435kf7).

  * The open DurhamCares Pilgrimage is an opportunity to discover how your spiritual journey is connected to the place you live - Durham, NC. Learn more and
register for the October (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/kw6kf7)
event.

  *
🎥 Video pick: The Wilson Center for Science and Justice (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/0o7kf7)
and
NC Leadership Forum (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/gh8kf7), with support of
The Just Trust, (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/w98kf7)
hosted a private screening of the film
“Sing Sing” (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/c29kf7). See this powerful case for using the arts to break the cycle of incarceration, in theaters now.

# More @ Duke

  * Duke Children's Hospital "Summer of Miracles" program partnered with businesses to
raise donations and create fun (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/sualf7)
% link:https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2024/08/duke-university-childrens-hospital-summer-of-miracles-fundraiser-custom-ice-cream-andias-goodberrys-champion-patient-ambassador-miracle-network name="https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2024/08/duke-university-childrens-hospital-summer-of-miracles-fundraiser-custom-ice-cream-andias-goodberrys-champion-patient-ambassador-miracle-network" content="" %]
for their young ambassadors (custom ice cream flavors?!), as reported by The Chronicle.

  * Med students help immigrants navigate healthcare: Interns at a Durham health clinic learn the challenges immigrants face in navigating the U.S. health system - and
help patients solve them (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/8mblf7).

  * Best workplaces:
Forbes names Duke among NC (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/ofclf7), adding to a string of "Best Workplace" titles. For more specifics on Duke in NC, check out the
2024 Duke Annual Report on Impact and Engagement. (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/47clf7)

  * Duke's 100th class moved in, including Izaiah Williams, the son of Mayor Leonardo Williams and his wife Zweli. Many
% link:https://today.duke.edu/2024/08/dukes-100th-class-arrives name="new arrivals" content="new arrivals" %]
bring community service experience, like
New Devil (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/k0dlf7)
Garrett Simons.

  * Are you a student or live near one? The Duke
Good Neighbor Program (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/0self7)
helps students orient to life off campus. Transparent protocols support students in learning how to be responsible community members.

  * 🗓Coming soon:  Neighbors and community partners are invited to join us in shaping The Partnership Platform, a forthcoming resource to strengthen collaborations between campus and community partners. We will be convening co-creation sessions this fall in person, online, and during community gatherings. partnership at duke.edu (mailto:partnership at duke.edu?subject=The%20Partnership%20Platform&body;=Hi,%20I%20saw%20your%20notice%20about%20community%20feedback%20sessions%20in%20the%20DCA%20newsletter,%20and%20I'd%20like%20to%20learn%20more.).

  * 🍿Our summer feel-good video pick: Duke University Marine Lab in Beaufort
hosted their annual open house (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/glflf7)
for a packed audience.

Find your perfect volunteering match at our
annual event (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/wdglf7)
👇

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/c6glf7)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/syhlf7)
% link:https://twitter.com/Duke_DCA name="https://twitter.com/Duke_DCA" content="" %]
% link:https://instagram.com/dukeindurham name="https://instagram.com/dukeindurham" content="" %]
% link:https://www.linkedin.com//company/duke-community-affairs/ name="https://www.linkedin.com//company/duke-community-affairs/" content="" %]

The Duke Community Affairs newsletter is for and about the common interests and projects of Duke faculty, staff, and students and the larger communities in which they live, work and play. We welcome your comments and suggestions at communityaffairs at duke.edu (mailto:communityaffairs at duke.edu?subject=Newsletter%20inquiry).

Duke Community Affairs (https://t.e2ma.net/click/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r/8qilf7)

411 W. Chapel Hill Street, Suite 500
Durham, NC 27701

919-684-6060

[Manage](https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1914265/1911970/694746274/38854535330/?s=fYC4qWWLmSpNO1090pvGxGJZilFveUT1OG2G_hOwAic) your preferences | [Opt Out](https://t.e2ma.net/optout/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r?s=8ev9YnHEUTQDR5I_wNLDEhvaLZ7tZrU2H3WNUSjth64) using TrueRemove™
Got this as a forward? [Sign up](https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1914265/1911970.694746274/) to receive our future emails.
View this email [online](https://t.e2ma.net/message/wx3wrl/cmt9u4r).

411 W. Chapel Hill St. Suite 500 | Durham, NC 27701 US

This email was sent to inc-list at lists.deltaforce.net.
To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.