[Durham INC] Building "affordable housing"

Mimi Kessler mimikessler1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 10:52:04 EDT 2024

I saw an interesting webinar
<https://www.cnu.org/resources/on-the-park-bench/authors-forum-building-affordable-house>on
"How to Build an Affordable House" sponsored by the Congress for the New
Urbanism last week. It was a presentation by builder and author Fernado
Pages Ruiz. I am not entirely sure that the resulting structures would hold
a candle in a bad storm, but worth knowing about the approach.

I gave an overview of it at the last INC Delegate meeting. It generated an
interesting discussion about whether this is really "new": it has
remarkable similarities with practices in building with a building boom
that happened after WWII in Principles of Building Small Houses
<https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=UI4gAAAAMAAJ&pg=GBS.PA12&hl=en_US>.
It was the origin of our current building codes. There was a specific
program that provided assurance to the banking industry to loan money and
know it was a good investment and kick started the building boom of the mid
'40's.

I am not sure how this would apply to large scale developments, but then, I
am not a builder.

I found it interesting. Maybe you will too.

--
Mimi Kessler
919-599-2892