[Esip-drone] Earth Science with an object avoiding quadracopter?

Wyngaard, Jane R (398M-Affiliate) Jane.R.Wyngaard at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 17 18:07:10 EST 2016

Hi all,

I had an engineer ask me today – what would an Earth Science application be, for a small sensor capable quad, that can self navigate and object avoid in a dense environment without needing GPS?  He’s developing for industrial indoor applications but how about the Earth Sciences…-?

Best we could come up with was maybe some sort of sub-canopy biomass quantisation- flying autonomously between the trees in a regular repeatable grid…?    But am sure there are other cool science problems I don’t know of out there - if it sparks anything in anyone?

Jane

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jane Wyngaard, Ph.D
Postdoctoral scholar
Instrument software and science data systems Section (398)

University of Southern California
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive MS: 158-256D
Pasadena, CA 91109