[Esip-envirosensing] Workshop Planning Meeting

Daniel Fuka drfuka at vt.edu
Mon Jul 3 12:06:11 EDT 2023

Howdy,
Mike Daniels, Keith Maul, Agbeli Ameko, and myself put together an
introductory presentation for last weeks' EarthCube meeting, and I
suggest that slimmed down, it is a good place to start for the
introduction in ESIP workshop.

I propose that folks that have IoT projects, or who are experimenting,
can add a 2-3 slides to discuss their projects for a couple of minutes
each to give the attendees ideas of just how broad a tool we are
trying to introduce.

We will go a bit deeper than last week's live demo, walking folks
through programming the boards, i.e. introducing the Arduino
programming environment, adding a sensor and associated code, and
programming the devices for the "field study" in the woods (still to
be refined.) In case of failure, we can have a computer or two ready
to write to any participant's board rapidly, and as a backup, there
will be a base code available on their board at power-up.

SparkFun has kits ready to order and ship. I have requested 20 of the
USDA boards to be borrowed for the workshop on top of those Scotty is
funding.

Scotty: can you reach out to Jennifer for however you think best to
make the purchases from the workshop seed funding you have made
available?

I am thinking we get the majority of boards shipped to the convention
center and one to each organizer who wants to help workout bugs in the
training?

Is there a time this week most of the organizers can get together and refine?

--
Dr. Daniel R. Fuka
Biological Systems Engineering