INC NEWS - Durham Announces Naming Rights for New DPAC Stage

Blalock, Amy Amy.Blalock at durhamnc.gov
Wed Feb 27 13:40:40 EST 2008

CITY OF DURHAM

Office of Public Affairs

101 City Hall Plaza

Durham, NC 27701

News Release

For Details, Contact:

Beverly B. Thompson

Public Affairs Director

(919) 560-4123 x 229

(919) 475-2362 (cell)

Beverly.Thompson at durhamnc.gov <mailto:Beverly.Thompson at durhamnc.gov>

For Immediate Release:  February 27, 2008

City of Durham Announces Naming Rights for New Durham Performing Arts
Center Stage

Durham, N.C. - The City of Durham announced today that the stage at the
new Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) will be named the Mildred &
Dillard Teer Stage.

Pending City Council approval at its March 3 meeting, the $1.2 million
contribution over 10 years for the stage naming rights is a first for
the new center.  "This is milestone for Durham as we have our first
naming rights at the Durham Performing Arts Center associated with one
of our best known Durham families," Mayor William V. "Bill" Bell said.
"The Teers have done so much to help Durham develop as a quality city
and have given back to the community through their extensive civic
service over the years. The generous financial commitment and the name
association truly enhance our newest destination venue in downtown
Durham."

According to Robb Teer, son of Dillard and Mildred Teer and spokesperson
for the Teer family, the naming rights opportunity offers the Teer
family a chance to honor their parent's legacy in Durham.  "We wanted to
do something as a family to honor our parents, what they have meant to
us and to the greater Durham area," Teer said.  "We could think of no
better way to reflect their constant giving to the community than to
make a gift in their honor to the beautiful new performing arts center
in the heart of Durham."

R. Dillard Teer and Mildred Roycroft Teer have lived in Durham all their
lives and were involved in numerous civic activities.  Married since
1942, they have five children.  Dillard was vice president and
secretary-treasurer for the Nello Teer Company, a home-grown Durham
company started by his father in Durham in 1909. The Nello L. Teer
Company was one of the largest contractors in North Carolina, building
both locally (the unique BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina
headquarters) and internationally, before the company was sold to the
Koppers Company in the 1980s.  Dillard also served as executive vice
president of the Durham and Southern Railway, as a board member for 31
years on the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority, and as a Durham County
Commissioner. Mildred was a civic leader and member of the Durham City
School Board.  Her father was a tobacconist in Durham and ran Roycroft's
Warehouse on Rigsbee Avenue.

"This is great news for Durham and the DPAC," City Manager Patrick Baker
said.  "It associates a prominent Durham name with a significant part of
the theater while placing the DPAC in a stronger financial position.  We
are honored to have the Teer family name on a beautiful new civic
building."

About The Durham Performing Arts Center

The Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) is a $44 million,
state-of-the-art performing arts venue under construction at the corner
of Mangum and Vivian Streets in downtown Durham. The DPAC will feature
North Carolina's largest stage for major Broadway shows, opera,
concerts, drama, and family shows. There are 2,800 seats in a very
intimate setting with no seat more than 135 feet from the stage. The
DPAC is owned by the City of Durham and will be managed by
Nederlander/PFM, a partnership combining Nederlander, the world's
largest owner and producer of Broadway shows, with PFM, manager of a
number of performing arts facilities in the United States. Szostak
Design of Chapel Hill and Garfield Traub of Dallas are the project
developers. The DPAC will be completed this fall with opening events
currently scheduled in December.  To learn more about the DPAC, visit
the City's Web site at www.durhamnc.gov/departments/eed/dpac.

###