INC NEWS - Letter: effort to "streamline" development process

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 11:34:02 EDT 2008

Randy wrote: ". Sure there may be some bad
developments, but in general, it all grows to meet the
needs of the people who live/move into an area. And
like I said in the earlier email, we have a million
more people coming here in the next 20 years. So if
development is bad and it is not going to happen,
someone needs to get the word out to these folks who
are coming so they'll go elsewhere..."

I disagree that there may be 'some' bad developments.
Come to South Durham and see the damage for yourself
-- the potential for Cary-like urban sprawl is
blinding. And Ellen Reckhow stated, at the recent
Forum on Drought and Development, that most of the
checks to repay developers for Durham's impact fees
went OUT OF STATE. Those developers should have to
live in the living environment they create. I hate to
think of what it would be like if concerned citizens
weren't pushing back.

Yes, we need to accommodate growth, and I know that
development is an inevitability....but Environmentally
and Economically RESPONSIBLE development should be the
goal, and for this we need oversight -- both by city
and county ELECTED officials and by citizens,
themselves. The changes proposed would only reduce the
ability and effectiveness of such oversight.

I think that those millions who move here would want
to know if they are moving into hastily (and often
shoddily) built homes built on a tree/shade-less
excavated and mass-graded pit that becomes a swamp
when the rains do come...not to mention the effects of
ground/clay settlement on their 'new homes' as a
result of drought followed by heavy storms.

We need to take the TIME required for the checks and
balances to ensure ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE
development in Durham, regardless of how much it costs
developers. Perhaps when they see that we are serious,
they'll start submitting the most environmentally
responsible developments they can, which will surely
speed the development process more than any
bureaucratic changes currently being discussed.

With deep concern,
Melissa

Melissa Rooney
mmr121570 at yahoo.com