INC NEWS - Neighborhood Advocate: request for more information

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Thu May 15 15:49:09 EDT 2008

John,

Would it be possible for someone to post again the role and responsibilities
that are being asked of the Neighborhood Advocate again?

For instance,  I've read that this person would report directly to the City
Manager.

If this is correct,  would this person have the authority to overrule other
Department Heads (Planning, Neighborhood Improvement Services, Housing and
Community Development) in their role as a neighborhood advocate?

Which 'voice' would the neighborhood advocate represent?   The neighborhood
association?  The board of an NA?  The board of an HOA?
over what the staff recommends.   Is there a formal procedure that
neighborhoods need to follow to give the Neighborhood Advocate the ability
to speak for them?   What if a neighborhood isn't organized?  Can a few
people speak for a neighborhood without some sort of authority to do so?

Where does the Planning Commission recommendations place if there's a
difference in opinions between the two?

What happens if a neighborhood is split or still isn't sure about what's in
it's best interest in a timely manner?   Which position will a NA
'represent'.

I've also read that it's been suggested that this position be a legal
person, have legal training or be an attorney.   If so,  isn't there a
direct conflict of interest if they are being paid by the city but
supposedly representing neighborhood interests as their primary job
responsibility?

A white paper describing this initiative would be very helpful.

Aren't our elected officials supposed to function in the role of
representing their community?   Who's voice should be heard over the other
if there's a difference in opinions?   Should a person who's hired to fill a
position of Neighborhood Advocate hold trump cards over the City Council
(one of which is our Mayor)?

Half of our City Council members (actually 3 of 7) are elected via a Ward
system.   What's the communication channel for this person if there's a
difference in opinion between them and the NA?

Where's our Neighborhood Improvement Services Community Resource personnel
fit into this new scheme?  Don't they have some of the same job functions
that's being proposed for the NA?

While I agree there's been some phenomenal missteps lately (i.e. Turnage
Heights neighborhood warehouse)  adding another layer of administration to
the already complex mix of departments and organizational hierarchy,
taking the time to make sure we all understand what's being asked of this
person in advance would definitely be appreciated.

Mike Shiflett