INC NEWS - Letter: Don't speed development (Herald-Sun)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 09:38:54 EDT 2008

Letter: Don't speed development
Herald-Sun, 15 May 2008

Regarding the article "Steps eyed to speed project
reviews" [Herald-Sun, May 9]: As stated by Olive
Branch Road residents' petition protesting "massive
growth" in the Falls Lake watershed: "The RDU area,
ranking 3rd nationally in urban sprawl, is continuing
to experience explosive growth, even with the water
shortage, foreclosures, congested roads, poor public
transportation, nationally ranked ozone levels,
overcrowded schools, severe sedimentation issues,
excess nutrients in waterways, loss of open space ..."

Meanwhile, Durham is spending precious time
streamlining the development review process to
encourage development? Shouldn't we be making changes
toward environmentally responsible development?

The Planning Commission is often where important
changes, reflecting neighborhood concerns, are made.
The commission's ability to defer cases is often the
only way to make development teams respond.

And why must we speed annexations for the sake of
county residents' input? Durham City is within Durham
County. Both city and county requirements should be
met, regardless of annexation's speed.

As for "allow[ing] administrators to handle the
approval of most water and sewer extension agreements
on their own, without [approval by] council," need I
mention Durham vs. Graham? (Recall the year-long
erosion violations, the court battle and the county's
vote to forfeit hundreds of thousands in penalties).

Meanwhile, we're still dealing with our former
planning director's controversial, independent
decisions regarding the Morreene Road warehouse and
extension of the urban growth line.

Yeah, let's sacrifice citizen- and elected officials'
input to give the Planning Department more
rubber-stamp ability. That's a great idea.

MIKE ROONEY
Durham