INC NEWS - Let's give it a chance. Let's see what can be improved &work to make it better...

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed May 21 00:56:26 EDT 2008

I have found, we as citizens, have plenty of people to go to for answers.
But none of them wear the same hat for just that reason. For
water/sewer/storm drainage I go one place. For traffic and transportation
issues I go another. For planning and zoning I go to yet another. And so
on... To think that any one person can speak toward all these issues is
hard to believe. Much less advocate one thing or the next for any
particular facet of any given neighborhood. That's why we have all these
different departments with competent people to address various issues. No
one person has all that expertise. Not on one development, let alone on
all the development going on. Our best defense (as far as citizens) is to
rely on our fellow citizens, those we elect and those who make up the PC
and various other "watchdogs" of what goes on around us. Certainly,
collectively, they have a much bigger picture than we'll ever have or
need. Certainly more than any one person would have. Sometimes even
finding one person in a particular department who can answer all of the
questions for just that department is hard.

I see development of particular areas as problems/issues relating to a
particular geographic area, not as a wide brush stroke. So neighbors close
to the problem/issue would have a much larger stake in the outcome.
Something 9 miles away from me would have a relatively small impact on me
I would think (unless it was in a transportation I use). If it was next
door to you, it would be much greater. You might not want it in your
backdoor whereas I might think it's a great idea (thinking about
Southpoint here). Or like transportation corridors like the EEC. A lot of
folks will be happy to see built while those living in the affected area
may not be so happy with the idea...

Again, and for the last time, I'll say that organized neighborhoods are
the best solution for dealing with issues in their neighborhoods/area. I
know I don't want someone way across town who won't have to live with a
development in my area making a decision for me. They may think it's a
good idea...

All neighborhoods need an advocate. If INC can't/won't be it, then I
suggest, as you certainly have, taking matters into your own hands. If
other neighborhoods did the same thing (in fact that is how many
neighborhood organizations get off the ground; they have a common
planning/development issue that brings them all together), imagine what a
knowledge base we'd have.  I'd also suggest that anyone concerned, get
involved in the process in any one of the many volunteer (and some paid)
opportunities to steer the direction of the comminity of which we live.
Citizens make up all the Boards, Commissions, Authorities and advisory
groups as well as the designated staff from particular City/County
departments. It's then that you'll really get an opportunity to see what
it all takes to make it all happen. And sometimes, you might even be
shocked that it works as good as it does...

RWP
27 Beverly

> Thanks Colin. I certainly now realize the
> complications regarding a lawyer as a neighborhood
> advocate.
>
> Nonetheless, the neighbors/citizens of Durham need
> someone, perhaps one who isn't a lawyer, to whom they
> can be referred...someone to act as an intermediary
> and educator between the citizens and the planning
> department, developers, PC, BOCC and CC, (but
> primarily the first two). My initial experience with
> Jordan at Southpoint would have been belittling to the
> point of giving up, if I were lacking in
> self-confidence ;)
>
> During the neighborhood meeting at which he made clear
> I was not welcome b/c I didn't live within 1000 feet
> of the development, the person representing the
> developer (won't mention names int his email) actually
> said with sarcasm:  "So you have an engineering degree
> now, do you?" Meanwhile he continued to rebuff my
> questions and smile at those neighbors who could
> legally sign a protest petition, while committing to
> nothing regarding their or my concerns.
>
> When I contacted the planning department, the previous
> planning director (i.e. NOT Steve Medlin) was very
> belittling and unhelpful...to the point that I cc'd in
> some gov't officials so they could see the response
> that an inquiring citizen received with regard to
> rural/suburban development questions/concerns.
>
> Other concerned citizens and I were very fortunate to
> have the help of a neighbor, who is the co-chair of my
> neighborhood's community awareness committee as well
> as a lawyer with experience in
> real-estate/development. Then I had even more good
> fortune in that I coincidentally hooked up with a
> couple of people who have been voicing citizens'
> concerns (via DOST, PC, BOCC and CC meetings/hearings)
> for decades now. I don't think I'd have stuck with
> things had I not met these very knowledgeable and
> helpful people.
>
> Most the time, neighbors/neighborhoods trust the
> developers stated intent, getting no real committed
> elements (in writing). And if they don't, they are
> easily worn down by the process, particularly if the
> development team asks for repeated deferrals, thereby
> requiring neighbors to drive 'all the way to the city'
> for numerous weeknight meetings. Of course, PC
> deferrals are often the only way to get the
> development team to truly talk to neighbors, but it
> hardly guarantees that they will provide committed
> elements addressing their concerns. (Though it is a
> pain in the rear, I support the PC's authority to
> request deferrals but I think that developers often
> use these to try to wear down citizens so that they'll
> go away, and in this way they cause their own costly
> delays.)
>
> While Ted Voorhees and Mayor Bell are pushing for
> making customer service toward the developers easier
> and more friendly, the citizens are continuing to get
> the shaft. The planning process NEEDS a person who is
> [...]

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.