INC NEWS - Fwd: Kvetching by Arts groups

Reyn Bowman Reyn at Durham-cvb.com
Thu Jun 5 16:11:39 EDT 2008

I only imagine the bind City officials feel but a vibrant and indigenous
cultural landscape is just as crucial a part of this community's
infrastructure, as streets, sewer and water, open space, greenways, bike
paths and much, much more.

The days when corporate philanthropy filled the funding void for
non-profits is vanishing...everywhere.  But especially here, where many
of our largest corporations now distribute half or more of their
philanthropy where commuter employees live rather than the community
where they are based.  We can lament it and decry it but it is what it
is.  We need new paradigms.

Funding for many things including the arts has fallen back on local
government.  It might be frustrating but we can't just push them out and
expect cake sales and car washes to sustain them at the level of
excellence necessary to sustain our quality of life and economic
well-being.  Just because, like sports, they may evolve from
enthusiasts, doesn't mean they don't serve a central purpose for the
entire community.

The weaning process may have been premature, no matter how well
communicated or well intended.  We need Durham's legendary creativity to
evolve a coherent system for self funding the arts, e.g. a dedicated
admissions tax which would function as a user fee.  But we also need a
coherent way of making decisions about cultural facilities and how to
hold arts groups accountable and to determine obsolescence.  All easier
said than done.

A great deal of our cultural landscape has already eroded.  And once
gone, it can be very quickly be replaced by McArts or generica and be
almost impossible to restore.  Places that look like they went shopping
for culture one day and brought back one of everything don't thrive in
the long term.

We must solve this problem and I believe together we can.