INC NEWS - Rezoning Votes before NCDOT review -- contact Mayor Bell

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 13:40:53 EDT 2008

Some city folks seem to forget that these measures/changes do not apply solely to in-fill and in-city-center areas. The result in suburban and rural Durham could be disastrous. We are already dealing with overcrowded schools...Volunteers at my daughters school have problems finding parking in the middle of the day! And work/school traffic is becoming a nightmare down here in Southern Durham  -- just ask Chapel Hill elected officials whose city suffers because it is adjacent to or actually within this part of Durham County.

As we were advised to wait to get a proper definition for a neighborhood advocate, which would benefit Durham neighborhoods, then why should we be advised to go ahead with this? Because, on the contrary, it benefits developers/homebuilders and those who receive their funding?

You can't have it both ways -- at least not rationally/fairly so.

That said, if Mayor Bell wants to amend this measure to apply to in-fill developments only, and exempt rural and suburban Durham, that's another measure altogether. But I know of many city-folks who would object to this. No matter where you live, you should be given the opportunities to become informed and to have your say in rezonings around you. Anything else is simply undemocratic.

Melissa