INC NEWS - Rezoning Votes before NCDOT review -- contact Mayor Bell

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 20:48:21 EDT 2008

Exactly, Randy. There needs to be more of a committed plan for a development before both traffic analysis AND rezoning approval takes place. That's the whole point. And a point that Durham's been missing for too long now.

Before approving rezoning, Durham should have a much better idea of the future development (i.e. committed elements) than it does now. Right now our citizen commissions (PC, DOST) routinely have problems with the fact that they don't know what the development is REALLY going to involve and, for this reason, aren't inclined to recommend rezoning. Even so, officials are then required to vote on rezoning while having little to no idea of the REAL plans for a development. The citizens, including elected officials, are being kept in the shadows. It's time to turn on the light -- or, at the very least, prevent our dim perspective from turning to complete darkness.

Melissa