INC NEWS - Durham Central Market

John Haws John.Haws at sas.com
Thu Sep 11 16:15:32 EDT 2008

A new cooperative grocery store is forming in Durham. I'm actively involved in a number of ways, and I'm excited about the possibility of a great new coop in the heart of our city. There are folks from neighborhoods throughout Durham involved, so you may have heard about this already, but if not, here is some information.

A group of motivated community volunteers have formed the Durham Central Market, a new cooperative grocery store that will be located in Durham's Central Park.   Durham Central Market will stock high quality foods and other products with a focus on sustainability and local producers.   Using the Weaver Street Market as a model, Durham Central Market will have a community focus but with a uniquely Durham flair.   Organizers are currently researching options for locations in the Central Park area near the Durham Farmers Market.  They are considering the costs involved in new construction vs. rehabilitation and reuse.  More market and cost analysis is needed.

Durham Central Market is currently conducting a founding owners drive with a goal of selling 300 shares. Owner shares are $100.  An owner share allows owners to participate in the store's vision and operations.  Owners may add shoppers to their memberships for $40 per person (non-voting) for future benefits/discounts. The Festival for the Eno launched the founding owners drive, and the drive is expected to end October 31, 2008.

You can be part of the effort to make this market a reality.  Please go to the website at www.durhamcentralmarket.org , purchase a share, and spread the word.

Durham Central Market is a for-profit venture that will reinvest profits back into the community.

If you'd like more information, visit the website and feel free to contact me.

- John