INC NEWS - Community Coalition Meeting - from Wanda Boone, Durham TRY and PAC 1

pinnaclecdc at aol.com pinnaclecdc at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 11:47:28 EDT 2008

Good Morning!

Please come to our meeting at the East Regional Library from 6 PM  - 7 PM on
Friday September 19, 2008 to begin this grassroots mobilization  effort. I
will also discuss several grant opportunities and programs that will  benefit PAC
1. Please invite others WHO WANT TO WORK  TOGETHER to come as well. This one
hour can change  our community!!!!

Here are few things you may not know about us...

I am Wanda Boone and my husband is Earl. We are 37 year residents of  Durham.
We eloped to Durham in 1971. We raised our 3 children here and  many, many
others as well. Even though we are grandparents (huh?!) our hearts  still go out
to children so desperately in need. We founded Pinnacle CDC 501 c 3  for this
purpose. (Durham Together for Resilient Youth and One Durham). We are
Pastors of At His Feet Ministries International in Durham.

In my dreams, everybody eats, everybody learns and everybody enjoys.
Unfortunately we do not live in my dream world. There are those who are  and who are
not homeless who cannot afford healthy  food. There are those who do not have
the information about health, finances or  other opportunities that lead to a
more prosperous life and there are those who  have lost their sense of fun.
There are youth who struggle with substance  abuse addiction without prevention
programs in place to stop the constant march  in that direction.
We, through One Durham will bring resilience and "life essentials" to  the
community. Please take a moment to view the following video about our  efforts.
The part about us specifically starts at 3 minutes 21 seconds

_http://www.youtube.com/user/1DurhamEverybodyEats_
(http://www.youtube.com/user/1DurhamEverybodyEats)

The building that we will use is PINNACLE (I painted the sign atop the
building - eek! ) located at 1703 E Geer St., as the hub "centered around food".
It is the historic Hartman's Steakhouse that you saw in the video  above. We
give special thanks to Mr Jack Markham for his vision to use this  property for
the benefit of youth and the community. Denise Cerreta, Founder of  One World
Everybody Eats, Salt Lake City, Utah, and staff will make Durham their
temporary home as they help our beginnings. Lucy Harris - SEEDS will help plant  the
Community Garden. We envision 15 jobs being created and the  ability to train
others.

An article about us appeared in the newspaper recently
_http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/durham/4-987075.cfm_
(http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/durham/4-987075.cfm)  and  donations can be made safely on-line
_www.onedurhameverybodyeats.org_ (http://www.onedurhameverybodyeats.org/)

THIS IS WHY WE ARE WORKING SO HARD FOR DURHAM:
1 in 10 Americans has a substance use disorder or addiction – an  estimated
18,600 in Durham County.
1 in 4 Americans has a primary  family member struggling with addiction.
In Durham alcohol-related offenses are the largest cause of prison  entries.
51.2% of HS students consume alcohol 35% smoke marijuana
53% of adjudicated youth in Durham are addicted to drugs
Alcohol and drug abuse costs the American economy in excess of $365 billion
per year in lost productivity,
health cost expenditures and crime. In Durham County that is over  $350
million costs

The most startling statistic however is that 28% of African  American and 32%
Latino youth surveyed attempted suicide in the 2 weeks  prior.

We received grants from: Kate B Reynolds, United Way/Duke  Partnership, NC
Prevent Underage Drinking, and the Durham  Center. These funds cannot be used to
create the HUB - necessary to  bring people out of their environment into the
"created community".

Please see a few of our letters of support out of the many that we have
(attached). Our other friends include Evy Schmidt, Exec Dir Lincoln  Community
Health Center, Faye Broadwater Calhoun, former Deputy Director NIAAA,  Councilman
Howard Clement, Ellen Holliman, Executive Director the Durham  Center...I
will miss someone! We would love to have a meeting with you.  Please come and see
our space. There is a lovely, lovely spot for Arts on  the Lawn - another
dream. We only need $50,000.00 to complete One Durham.

Thank you for your kind consideration,

Best  Regards,
Wanda
Wanda Boone, CEO  Pinnacle CDC & Durham Together for Resilient Youth

_w_ (http://www.durhamtry.org/) ww.DurhamTRY.org

_www.onedurhameverybodyeats.org_ (http://www.onedurhameverybodyeats.org/)
Phone: 919-491-7811
Chair Substance Abuse  Subcommittee Durham County
Chair Best Practices Subcommittee Durham  County
Chair Faith-Based Subcommittee Durham County
Member African  American Health Initiative
Member Durham Religious  Coalition