INC NEWS - [CVNA] Fw: Prepared Meals Tax Referendum

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Oct 1 16:43:45 EDT 2008

We discussed the PMT this morning at out CCIP meeting. What the literature
fails to say is that there is no sunset law on this (meaning it can go on
and even increase forever) and that the expectation is (on current
statistics) is $5M/year. Looking at the literature, you see $57M + of ways
to spend it. This $5M will be used as "down payment" money in order to
borrow more; hence the larger figure of projected costs for various
projects. So just don't forget we're still going to have to pay the money
back and this isn't a free ride. Where the money actually gets spent will
be a joint City/County decision. A lot of the spending is geared toward
maintenance which is something we have not had much of a revenue stream to
fund (through normal budgetary cycles). I didn't see much in it for the
County when most of it comes to fixing downtown buildings (or adding them)
except that it adds to the "big" Durham overall brand. Bahama, for
example, seems to be excluded again from getting amenities and the bulk of
it seems destined for downtown. Having recently over-spent the streetscape
renovation projects downtown by $3.5M, it has to make one wonder how bad
the new list of projects could get...

RWP
27 Beverly

> I've also been told (I'd still like to see it in writing though) that a
> portion of the money raised via the Prepared Meals Tax would be allocated
> Keep Durham Beautiful which is the organization within the City which is
> responsible to maintain and improve that stretch of 85 which has
> additional
> plantings and crepe myrtles in the median.
>
> I believe that a specific allocation towards an additional street sweeper
> for this (and other area throughout the City) via the PMT would be a wise
> investment for Durham that isn't dependant solely on property taxes to
> implement.
>
> I'm supporting the PMT for a number of different reasons,  this just being
> one of them.
>
> fyi,
> mike shiflett

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.