INC NEWS - Digital Billboards: Fairway

Ellen Dagenhart dagnhrt at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 4 20:23:35 EST 2008

At 05:19 PM 12/4/2008, Kelly Jarrett wrote:
>I would also like traffic studies about how these billboards affect
>traffic safety when placed on highways. Do they distract drivers
>when placed along highways? Do accident rates increase? Do they slow traffic?

I've been driving between Durham and the western part of NC for 35
years, and some of the flashing billboards have been added on highway
52 in Winston-Salem. One in particular is very close to the highway
in the southbound lane. First time I saw it, it flashed and
changed  just as I came by it, and I nearly ran off the road. I'm
aware of it now but still find it distracting, and I just hope that
whoever is next to me in rush hour traffic isn't as spooked as I was
that first time. I ride that road a lot these days going to see about
my mom and I can promise you people do not slow down - they blow my
doors off & I am a leadfoot. I hate those billboards, find them
hideously ugly, and think that as badly as people drive that these
billboards should be outlawed anywhere people drive over 35 mph.
Under no circumstance do I think such a thing is desirable for Durham
or the image we want to project. .

That is my anecdote & if y'all want to know how I really feel I'll be
glad to share ;-)

Ellen M. Dagenhart, ABR, e-Pro, GRI, SRES
MailTo:dagnhrt at mindspring.com
Marie Austin Realty, Durham, NC
1204 Broad Street, Durham, NC 27705
http://www.marieaustin.com
Office  919-286-5611  FAX  919-286-2252  Cell 919-475-1719

[]

Check it out! http://www.durham-nc.com/www.wheregreatthingshappen.com