[Durham INC] Fw: Beach bungalow bailout

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 12:01:29 EST 2011

 Please see below and take the literally 10 seconds to let your legislators know your opinion regarding facilitating buildings on the sea shore. Our house is just a few inches inside the 100 year flood plain (and that's just the first brick of the empty crawlspace), but FEMA requires me to purchase flood insurance and will not even consider an exemption. An insider tells me this is not so much to protect my home/investment, but to provide funding for those that are in areas more likely to be affected by flooding, like beach houses. It is unfair to require environmentally appreciative and responsible, middle class people like myself to fund repair costs for the beachside vacation homes of people wealthier and less environmentally responsible than myself.

Just my ten cents ;-)

Melissa Rooney