[Durham INC] Fw: Beach bungalow bailout

scjdurham at aol.com scjdurham at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 13:59:42 EST 2011

Melissa,

I so agree with you on that.  One year after the disasters from
Hurricane Katrina, FEMA in it's infinite wisdom changed the flood zone
rating for the area around Ellerbe Creek near Club Boulevard in
Northgate Park.  I have always been required to have flood insurance
even though my house, built in 1942, has never flooded in 69 years.The
flood insurance premium increased by 300%.

I am in the process of applying for an exception (LOMA) and hope it
works because that 300% increase just doesn't fit the budget and is not
realistic since Ellerbe Creek has had extensive restoration and other
work provided by NCDOT (because of the widening).  Our zone designation
should have gone in the other direction to less severe.

Cheryl, don't even have the 2 cents anymore, Shiflett