[Durham INC] Fw: Why no upper level admin cuts?

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun May 8 11:41:39 EDT 2011

I would like to address the idea that principals are not "front line."  In addition to all the administration stuff (some necessary, like budgets, and probably a lot simply monkey work), they do a lot of work with individual kids (ask any kid at Brogden what they think of Ms. Trapp);  there is still a lot of dread of "getting sent to the principal's office."  The principals also do a lot of PR (any normal organization with hundreds of external contacts would have 3 people working on external relations).  How many other white collar jobs are there where you have 2 people managing 50 employees (more or less what Creekside has);  if we had anything like a normal management structure we wouldn't be stuck trying to use testing to evaluate how good a job the teacher is doing.
Regards, pat