[Durham INC] Fw: Why no upper level admin cuts?

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 15:14:40 EDT 2011

Just want to clarify -- by no means do I mean that principals are not front
line. When I am talking about the need to address cuts (or lack thereof) in
upper level management, I mean the central office. Our principal easily does the
job of three people. I don't know how he does it. I have seen at least one asst.
principal who did not *seem* to do much besides organize transportation (which
admittedly is a big job), but our school lost this position a couple years back.
A school like Creekside, which has over 800 kids, definitely needs more than one
principal leading/overseeing it.

My biggest concern is the national trend to add employees at the top (i.e. on
the central, county level) while cutting those on the front lines -- those who
work in the individual schools, including our principals. I have seen
secretarial staff assisting in classrooms....anyone who works in an actual
school is likely to be hands-on.

Melissa