[Durham INC] Fw: Call Congress Today: Time 2 Exit Afghanistan

David Harris harrisdl2003 at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 22:12:20 EDT 2011

FYI

Thanks
David Harris
919-906-2023

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: NC Peace Action <director at ncpeaceaction.org>
To: harrisdl2003 at yahoo.com
Sent: Tue, May 24, 2011 9:43:45 AM
Subject: Call Congress Today: Time 2 Exit Afghanistan

Tuesday, May 24th.

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) holds both
opportunity and disaster. It’s time to act.

Call your Representative and both Senators today. Call TOLL FREE 1-888-231-9276,
or find your elected officials online usingthis form. Call between 9:00 am and
5:00 pm or call the district office.

Seize an Opportunity: This week, the House of Representatives will be voting on
the 2012 NDAA. Our Representatives have the possibility to cast a vote to bring
the troops home and say NO to endless war in Afghanistan.

Representatives Jim McGovern (MA) and Walter Jones (NC) introduced a resolution:
The Afghanistan Exit and Accountability Act H.R. 1735, which currently has 50
co-sponsors. We need to get NC Representatives to sign.

Avert disaster: The last thing Congress should be doing is authorizing endless
war, but that's exactly what the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)
does.

Rep. Howard McKeon and Sen. John McCain have proposed language in the NDAA,
which the ACLU says gives all presidents, "the power to unilaterally take our
country to war wherever, whenever and however he or she sees fit. It would
essentially declare a worldwide war without end."

Today, Peace Action has organized over 20 national organizations to flood
Capitol Hill with one message: Time to Exit Afghanistan.

1. Call TOLL FREE 1-888-231-9276 or find your elected officials online usingthis
form. Call 9:00am to 5:00pm EDT or call your member's local district office.

2. Tell your Representative:
"It is time we brought our troops home from Afghanistan and stopped wasting
billions we need at home. The last thing Congress should be doing is authorizing
endless war, but that's exactly what the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act
does. Cosponsor and vote for any amendment based on McGovern/ Jones H.R. 1735
and for any amendment that removes or drastically changes McKeon/McCain endless
war authorization."

3. Tell your Senators:
"It is time we brought our troops home from Afghanistan and stopped wasting
billions we need at home. Join Senators Tom Harkin and Bernie Sanders on Sen.
Jeff Merkley's letter to the President asking for a 'sizable and sustained'
reduction of troops from Afghanistan."

4. Tell us how your calls went usingthis form.

In Peace,

Betsy Crites
Director, NC Peace Action

P.S. After you call your Senators and Representative:

Facebook: Change your profile picture to: http://tinyurl.com/3zhvp26

Tweet: @Congress: Now is the time to #ExitAfghanistan & stop wasting billions we
need at home on war. Now is not the time for endless war.
 May 24th 2011
NC Peace Action
	* DONATE

	* Facebook