[Durham INC] Fwd: letter on the marriage amendment

John Martin bulldurhamnc at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 11:02:05 EDT 2011

As a gay man, I'm opposed to the constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.  But I'm also disturbed by Tom's letter for two reasons.
1)  If the president is free to add material to the resolutions, then I don't really know what I'm voting for nor does anyone else.
2)  What Tom is basically saying is that anyone who supports the constitutional amendment is an ignorant, hateful bigot.  Is this supposed to be persuasive?  Are we to imagine that a legislator who is on the fence will say to himself:  "Why, that's right.  I am an ignorant, hateful bigot and I'll change my opinion forthwith."  Certain kinds of arguments are not designed to persuade, they're designed to allow people to feel superior to their opponents. And certain people would rather go down to defeat feeling superior rather than win if winning means conceding some kind of intellectual dignity to their opponents.
I would rather win this fight.