[Durham INC] Chef Challenge and Farmer Foodshare Challenge at Durham Farmers' Market this Sat!

Erin Kauffman eringkauffman at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 21:31:29 EDT 2011

 This Saturday, September 24th, the Durham
Farmers’ Market will host its 3rd Annual Chef Challenge!  The Chef Challenge is the Market’s very
own version of Iron Chef.  Three
local Chefs will each create a dish that contains the secret ingredient, which
will be revealed that morning.  The
Chefs will be competing for the title of the Chef Challenge Champ!

This year’s chef contestants are all local chefs who
regularly shop at the Market and their restaurants feature foods raised on
local farms.  The contestants are:
·      Billy Cotter, chef/owner of Toast.  Billy will be defending his 2010 Chef
Challenge Champ title.
·      Andy Magowan, chef/owner of Geer Street Garden
·      Josh DeCarolis, chef at Dos Perros and Jujube

The 2011 Champ will be determined by a panel of judges that
include,:
Johanna Kramer, local foodie who runs the blog Durham
Foodie.
Bryan Christopher who runs the blog Searching for Sicily

And Heather Greer Klein, the winner of our Customer Judge
Competition!

The Chef Challenge will take place on the Market’s Central
Lawn area.  Each Chef will have his
own tent and cooking set up.  The
event will start at 8:30am, when Master of Ceremonies, Frank Stasio (Host of
WUNC’s “The State of Things” and local food connoisseur) introduces the Chefs
and unveils the morning’s Secret Ingredient!  From 8:30 to 10:30, the Chefs will shop the Market and
create a dish that features the secret ingredient.   Frank will check in with them all through the
process.  At 10:30, the judges will
taste the 3 dishes and crown the 2011 Champ!  Around this time, there will be a chance for every one who
is watching to taste the Chef’s creations as well!

The Chef Challenge is sponsored in part by WXDU, Duke University Radio and Danger Make Designs.

Also happening at the Market on Saturday is the 3rd Annual Farmer Foodshare Challenge!  We will join with 9 other local Market to raise a ton of local, healthy and fresh food - and money to buy good food during the winter - for people at risk of hunger.  Our goal is to raise 500 pounds of food and $500 for our winter fund!  For more information about the Farmer Foodshare, visit www.farmerfoodshare.org

The Durham Farmers’ Market an all local, producer only
farmers’ market.  It is located at
501 Foster Street in the Pavilion at Durham Central Park.  The Market is open Saturdays, year
round and Wednesday afternoons from 3:30-6:30pm, April- September.

For more information about the Durham Farmers' Market, the Chef Challenge and the Farmer Foodshare Challenge, please contact Erin Kauffman - 919.667.3099, info at durhamfarmersmarket.com.

Erin Kauffman
Market Manager
Durham Farmers' Market