[Durham INC] Over-arching transit resolution

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 22 18:12:23 EDT 2015

I have gotten some comments on Appendix C, the resolution we will not be voting on tomorrow night.  I am using the parliamentary convention that you put language you are working on in brackets [].  So new language, language that someone had questions about, or language where alternatives are suggested is in brackets below.  For example, If someone wanted "moreover" instead of "furthermore," the text would now read [furthermore/moreover] -- and I hope we don't get into a discussion of what the difference is (-:

Regards, pat
----

extra">I have gotten some comments on Appendix C, the resolution we will not be voting on tomorrow night.  I am using the parliamentary convention that you put language you are working on in brackets [].  So new language, language that someone had questions about, or language where alternatives are suggested is in brackets below.  For example, If someone wanted "moreover" instead of "furthermore," the text would now read [furthermore/moreover] -- and I hope we don't get into a discussion of what the difference is (-:

Regards, pat
----

[...]

C: Overarching Resolution Regarding Rail Siting Process

Whereas local and regional authorities including
GoTriangle (formerly Triangle Transit Authority), the City of Durham, the Town
of Chapel Hill, the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning
Organization (DCHMPO), and the North Carolina Department of Transportation are
all presently engaged in forming plans for a proposed Durham-Orange Light Rail
line;

Whereas neighborhoods and other groups continue to
have concerns with the proposed routes – safety of at-grade crossings, impact
on businesses, difficulties of pedestrian crossing, and
reach into the eastern part of the city – and would like to see these
concerns treated seriously;

[Whereas some alternatives have “popped up” at what
seemed like the last moment;]

Whereas although it is clear GoTriangle staff has
worked hard to schedule public meetings and put a large amount of expertise and
effort into the presentations made at these meetings, citizens feel they
have not been listened to when they ask about anything other than the results
of staff studies;

Whereas meetings with neighborhoods and other groups
should be part of a dialogue where GoTriangle uses its expertise to meet groups
and individuals “where they are” and not opportunities to reiterate
reasons for supporting positions already taken;

Whereas having a light rail stop east of Alston
Avenue is not merely a technical decision, but a test of Durham will and
character since Durham must keep its commitments to
neighborhoods, especially communities that it may have failed in the past
and that it has made current commitments to aid.  [In particular, the possibilities that parts of East
Durham might be served by light rail extensions in the future extra">I have gotten some comments on Appendix C, the resolution we will not be voting on tomorrow night.  I am using the parliamentary convention that you put language you are working on in brackets [].  So new language, language that someone had questions about, or language where alternatives are suggested is in brackets below.  For example, If someone wanted "moreover" instead of "furthermore," the text would now read [furthermore/moreover] -- and I hope we don't get into a discussion of what the difference is (-:

Regards, pat
----

 are
not reasons to abandon the commitment to serve neighborhoods east of Alston now.  Many residents west of Alston are within
one-half mile of both the proposed Grant Street and Dillard-Fayetteville
stations whereas residents east of Alston will have to travel an additional
quarter to get to the Grant Street location;]

Be it resolved that:

 GoTriange is encouraged to have more
     meaningful direct discussions with neighborhoods to address their
     concerns, using real world light rail examples and offering Youtube
     examples and specific examples from other transit systems, especially
     Charlotte.
 The city and county should yet more
     seriously look at having a light rail stop east of Alston Avenue [rather than providing two stations close
     together west of Alston.]
 Durham City and County
     elected officials, especially those active in the MPO, should meet with
     neighborhoods located in Durham City and/or County whose light rail stops
     are being planned by Chapel Hill to evaluate those
     decisions and their supporting processes, and to support those
     neighborhoods in securing appropriate accommodation/redress/relief,
     [including honoring the long-standing  commitment to route the line
     through Meadowmont, which was planned as a TOD, just as we must honor our
     commitment to East Durham.]
 The city and county and other
     elected representatives, local and federal, should seek to intervene with
     the Army Corps of Engineers to stress the importance of the original
     Meadowmont route.
 Durham should [proceed
     with /develop] plans to link the [new Amtrak, proposed light rail and bus
     stations] with a pedestrian [crosswalk as a down payment against / walkways
     to meet] promises that transit expenditures will also benefit low-income
     residents that do not live in or immediately adjacent to downtown, and who
     rely on bus service linkage to rail.  [Failing that/in addition],
     other plans to serve low-income residents in meaningful manners should be
     accelerated so that the benefits of transit are shared more equitably
     [now].