[Durham INC] Changes to Durham's Special Events Approval Process

Stevens, Mattie Mattie.Stevens at durhamnc.gov
Mon Oct 5 11:36:46 EDT 2015

Good morning:

The City of Durham is modifying our process for permitting outdoor special events-block parties, festivals, road races, and others-that take place on public property. As Durham enjoys more and more events each year, we recognize our permit process needs to provide stronger City review and more tailored support for complicated events. So, City staff have proposed several changes, including new permit applications, a new set of Special Event Guidelines, and revisions to the City ordinances that govern street closings.

The attached documents highlight the most significant changes being proposed. If you would like to review all the draft materials, including the new applications and guidelines, please access PR# 10715 at this link: http://www.durhamnc.gov/agendas_new/2015/cws20151005/AttachmentsList.cfm#10715<http://www.durhamnc.gov/agendas_new/2015/cws20151019/AttachmentsList.cfm#10715>

Deputy City Manager Bo Ferguson presented these changes to City Council at their September 24 work session, and Council will consider adopting the new ordinance on Monday, October 19. Staff will continue to revise the permit applications and guidelines as needed. If you would like to offer feedback about any of these materials, please feel free to contact me (mattie.stevens at durhamnc.gov<mailto:mattie.stevens at durhamnc.gov>).

Sincerely,

Mattie Sue Stevens
Management Analyst
City Manager's Office, City of Durham
101 City Hall Plaza
Durham, NC 27701
P  919.560.4222, ext. 11235 | F  919.560.4949
Mattie.Stevens at DurhamNC.gov<https://webmail.durhamnc.gov/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>
www.DurhamNC.gov<http://www.durhamnc.gov/>