[Durham INC] Roads

Don Moffitt don.moffitt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 11:48:16 EST 2017

How icy is it? I watched an ice skater glide down Oakland Ave yesterday
afternoon... How soon will your street be plowed? It will probably be a
while longer.

We're all impatient to get on with our lives but it's really, really
dangerous out there.

Most of you know that Durham got hit with a mix of snow and sleet. The
dividing line was roughly along I-85. North of there it was mostly
snow--thicker, but far easier to clear. South of there we had a lot of
sleet mixed in. In my neighborhood I listened to sleet through much of the
night. In the morning we had four inches--very dense inches. That mix has
thawed some and refrozen and is b bound tightly to the pavement.

Road crews have been working around the clock. Their priorities are
primary/secondary/neighborhood. Most primary streets are in relatively good
shape. A lot of focus now is on the secondary roads. Crews are using sand,
salt and sunshine to loosen the ice and try to get it up. They have to go
back over both primary and secondary roads that have already been
plowed when they refreeze. There's a lot of that going on now.

The combination of re-treating primary and secondary roads, with the
extreme difficulty of getting the ice off the pavement, means that progress
is slow and hard to come by even though city staff is working extremely
hard around the clock and across the city. One thing you can do to help is
to keep from narrowing your street by parking along it if you have space
off the street to put your car. Just be mindful that when plows CAN get to
your street, if it's too difficult to navigate they'll move on.

Please be patient and stay safe!