[Durham INC] DRAFT August minutes

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 07:20:15 EDT 2017

Please let me know about additions or corrections.  Regards, pat

August Delegate Meeting of the InterNeighborhood Council of Durham
NIS Conference Room, Golden Belt
August 22, 2017

Attending the meeting were:
Neighborhoods
Colony Park – Don Lebkes
Cross Counties – Pat Carstensen
Golden Belt – DeDreana Freeman
Lochaven Hills – Tom Buhrman
Long Meadow – Matthew Pait
Northgate Park – Debra Hawkins
Old North Durham –Peter Katz, John Martin
Trappers Creek / Greymoss – Will Wilson
Trinity Park – Philip Azar
Tuscaloosa-Lakewood – Susan Sewell
Watts-Hillandale – Tom Miller
Woodcroft – Scott Carter, Jose Sandoval

Visitors
Kavya Sekar – Candidate Forum Committee
Jill Nicks – Candidate Forum Committee
Lynwood D. Best – City of Durham, NIS

DeDreana Freeman opened the meeting but turned the meeting over to Vice President Peter Katz; those present introduced themselves.  Philip Azar moved and John Martin seconded approval of the July minutes; this passed. [Note that they should have been corrected that Jennifer Patterson represented Downing Creek.]

Old Business
Many of the concerns expressed in the Beltline Resolution were resolved by the recent set of announcements.  Some friendly amendments to the resolution were accepted (see Appendix).  There are still some concerns about strings attached and general community input with staff/consultants, but for now we will table the issue.

The candidate forum dates are set September 14th for mayor’s races and October 12th for city council, running from 7 to about 8:30.   We still need to ask the candidates. Jill Nicks and Kavya Sekar, representing students at respectively NCCU and Duke, went over their proposals for what they would do as co-sponsors, which would include:

  *   Food before the event – need to check that it is OK, but probably OK in the lower lobby
  *   Childcare – need to check about getting a room
  *   Transportation from the campuses
  *   ESL and Spanish translation – uses headsets so not disruptive
They will run any posters by us and will work with Deb Hawkins on getting onto Facebook.  Pete Katz moved and John Martin seconded that we would spend up to $400 for close captioning if the Chamber doesn’t pay for it (they did in other years).  Tom Miller moved and Tom Buhrman seconded that we let Jose and the committee accept partners for the forums.  Both passed.  If you want to volunteer to help, please let Jose know.  We have some questions (you can submit until September 7th; multiple questions around the same topic are ideal), which John, Pete and Phil will screen; folks can also submit questions as they come in to the event.

Committee Reports

  *   Nominations Committee has not met, will have a slate by the next meeting.
  *   Neighborhood Heroes 2018 also has not met.
  *   Website – Several people volunteered to help Tom Buhrman with content and technical stuff on the website.

Neighborhood Announcements and Other Reports

  *   Food Truck Rodeo at Northgate Park this Thursday from 5-8:30.  Entertainment by The Piedmont Lowlanders, back with us for a hit second show!

  *   National Night Out was Tuesday, August 1.  Thanks was expressed to Tom Miller for a great party.  Neighborhoods around the Lakewood YMCA celebrated there, which was a nice closure on the efforts to preserve the facility; there were about 100 kids on the soccer field.
  *   The City of Durham is hosting a public visioning workshop for the Durham Belt Line on Wednesday, September 6 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Durham Armory, located at 212 Foster St. in downtown Durham.  It is open house so stop in to learn and express your opinion. https://durhambeltline.com/#new-page<https://durhambeltline.com/%23new-page> and https://durhambeltline.com/festival-for-eno/ (the second is the event page and has nothing to do with its title!)

Appendix: Beltline Resolution

Whereas the community is grateful that the Durham Beltline property has been acquired, and

Whereas we would however like to have a full disclosure of any agreements or understandings between the Conservation Fund and the City, and

Whereas we are encouraged that acquisition of the Beltline has now been publicized through the media; and

Whereas the Beltline will be an important asset for Durham; and

Whereas neighbors of the Beltline have important local and deep tacit knowledge – as Michael Polanyi said, “We know more than we can tell” – of the opportunities and complexities of the property,

Now, therefore

It is resolved that Durham neighborhoods would like more transparency into the Durham Beltline process, better identification of the decision makers and decision points, and more clarity about how and what public input will happen.

It is further resolved that the Beltline design and programming take into account planning and programming possibilities for the Duke Diet and Fitness project and other projects, whether involving open spaces, trails, greenways and the like.