[Durham INC] Letter: Duke University (Herald-Sun; N&O)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 12:13:37 EDT 2020

Letter: Duke UniversityHerald-Sun and News & Observer, 15 Aug 2020
I live in an apartment complex in downtown Durham. Dozens of Duke University undergraduates are moving into my building because of Duke’s decision to push students out of campus dorms and into Durham.
These students have no respect for their neighbors and do not wear masks. In the short week they’ve been here, they’ve instilled no confidence in me of being able to take necessary precautions when it comes to protecting themselves from COVID, much less having the decency to protect others.
In its ill-advised decision to have students return for in-person instruction, Duke has pushed all responsibility onto the Durham community.
Years ago, Duke pushed drinking off campus and into the community. We’re still seeing the ill effects of that selfish move.
As a citizen of Durham, I demand that Duke take ownership of this situation and fix the problem they’ve created. Don’t be the reason Durham sees a very avoidable increase in COVID case counts.
Suja Thomas, Durham